Can't add Google MX records?

Michael Küng

Apr 4, 2022, 11:48:59 AM4/4/22
to cloud-dns-discuss
I have a third party domain registrar where all my necessary records for Google Mail are setup correctly (worked before moving to GCP). I had the necessary MX records also setup with my former server provider.

Now it looks like I can send emails but not receive them. Interestingly the sender doesn't receive an error reply, emails to me just seem to disappear into the void. Therefore I figured I have probably to setup the necessary MX records with GCP just as I did with my last server provider.

Setting up the A records for my domain with GCP works perfectly, but it refuses to accept MX entries for Google Workspace.

I'm trying to add them here in GCP:

Zwischenablage04.jpg

Interestingly the mask here doesn't even give me options to set the priority:

Zwischenablage06.jpg

I'm following some guidelines provided by Google but this mask not letting me set the priority for the MX records (as recommended by Google) makes me think that maybe I might be in the wrong place in GCP?

It doesn't accept mail servers by Google Workspace:

Zwischenablage08.jpg

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Any hint is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for reading this. Have a good start on Monday.

Best
Mike

anikd

Apr 4, 2022, 7:28:14 PM4/4/22
to cloud-dns-discuss

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Have you tried following the doc [1] while trying to set up the MX records? This GCP doc will provide you a step by step guideline on how to perform this.

Also, It is worth mentioning that Google Groups is a place for non-technical how-to questions (where you're likely to find information like service status updates and release notes, and ranging from book recommendations to creative shortcuts) [2].

Therefore, I would recommend you to consider reaching out to Stack Exchange sites [3] (e.g. Server Fault )where Google also participates that can help you find answers and troubleshoot problems.

If you find any indication of a GCP specific issue, you may consider reporting [4] the issue with Issue Tracker with all the details [5] (omitting PII/sensitive information). You may also file a case with the GCP Support [6] and we will be more than happy to help.

Regards

Anik

Reference:

[1] https://support.google.com/a/answer/9222085?hl=en#zippy=%2Cstep-add-the-new-mx-records%2Cto-add-new-mx-records-from-the-create-record-set-page%2Cstep-sign-in-to-your-domain-host%2Cstep-go-to-your-dns-records

[2] Discussions: Google Groups: https://cloud.google.com/support/docs/community#discussions_google_groups

[3] Ask Technical Questions on Stack Exchange Sites: https://cloud.google.com/support/docs/stackexchange

[4] Create new issue: https://cloud.google.com/support/docs/issue-trackers#trackers-list

[5] Report Issues with Issue Trackers: https://cloud.google.com/support/docs/issue-trackers