Questions regarding SCIM endpoints and other extended Resources in SCIM

Shivang Shah

Dec 10, 2013, 7:00:17 PM12/10/13
to cloud-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I had couple of questions regarding the SCIM api endpoints discussed here : http://www.simplecloud.info/specs/draft-scim-api-01.html and I thought this might be a good place to start with.

In the specs I see the following :

"The SCIM protocol specifies well known endpoints and HTTP methods for managing Resources defined in the core schema; i.e., User and Group Resources correspond to /Users and /Groups respectively. Service Providers that support extended Resources SHOULD define Resource endpoints using the established convention; pluralize the Resource name defined in the extended schema by appending an 's'. Given there are cases where Resource pluralization is ambiguous; e.g., a Resource named 'person' is legitimately 'persons' and 'people' Consumers SHOULD discover Resource endpoints via the Schema Sub-Attribute 'endpoint'. "

What I don't understand is the following:

1) I have never seen Capitalization of the Resource name before. Is this something new for SCIM? Urls in browsers (urls anywhere for that matter) are by default case insensitive and it doesn't matter if we capitalize it or not. My real question would be is capitalizing the Resource name a part of the spec or just an example?
2) (This might be bit more of a mesh up question between REST spec and SCIM). We have a scenario where a user HAS "favorites". There are 2 ways we can handle this:

/scim/v1/users/{userId}/favorites (we can call this an extended sub-resource)

OR

/scim/favorites/users/{userId} (we can all this an extended resource "favorites").

From the url perspective both seem to be right but what I don't know is which one is more suitable according to SCIM (and maybe REST? ) specifications. And a follow up question to that might be, do the extended resources have to be capitalized as well?

All help is appreciated! I am new to implementing and understanding SCIM, so please forgive me if I have missed some subtle pointers in the specifications itself!

Cheers and looking forward to any answers that can help me understand this!

chris phillips

Dec 10, 2013, 7:14:28 PM12/10/13
to cloud-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
The SCIM activity has moved to the IETF  and the sc...@ietf.org list. I would recommend sending your request there.  This list has been superseded by the IETF list for quite awhile..

Chris
/mobile

chris phillips

Dec 10, 2013, 7:14:42 PM12/10/13
to cloud-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
The SCIM activity has moved to the IETF  and the sc...@ietf.org list. I would recommend sending your request there.  This list is superseded by the IETF one

Chris
/mobile

Shivang Shah

Dec 10, 2013, 7:26:33 PM12/10/13
to cloud-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I did not know! Is this just another email group or do you know if there is any specific google group backing that email group?