New cloud Interoperability testbed project on FutureGrid

Alan Sill

Dec 6, 2011, 12:08:26 PM12/6/11
to cloud...@googlegroups.com, Alan Sill
Dear folks interested in cloud standards testing:

I have proposed and the organizers have approved the following project
in FutureGrid:

"Cloud Interoperability Testbed:" https://portal.futuregrid.org/project/176

The Cloud Interoperability Testbed will serve as a mechanism to host
interoperability tests for different machine control, data transfer,
resource reporting and usage agreement standards and implementations
of other new standards efforts. The primary purpose will be to give
developers an opportunity to try out implementations of code that
implements either server or client functionality for the use of
multiple standards from different standards development organizations.

The initial effort for this project will be focused on implementations
of the Open Cloud Computing Interface (OCCI) from the Open Grid Forum
(OGF), Cloud Data Management Interface (CDMI) from the Storage Network
Industry Association (SNIA), the Cloud Infrastructure Management
Interface (CIMI) and the Open Virtualization Format (OVF) from the
Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF). Other standards will be
added as the project proceeds.

Membership in this project is open to anyone working in the area of
cross-compatibility of cloud-related standards. I have to approve
membership as project manager and project lead, but it is my intent to
approve all membership requests that are consistent with the above
goals. Note this is NOT an OGF project, but is one in which OGF will
participate, and is closely associated with the OGF Cloud
Interoperability group and OGF/SNIA cloud plug-fest effort that is
also open to DMTF members.

The purpose of the FutureGrid project is simply to provide an easily
accessed mechanism for obtaining access to virtual machines that can
be used for testing various aspects of implementations of cloud
standards protocols and clients. It is NOT necessary to reveal the
inner workings of these implementations to other group members,
although some wpirit of sharing information will obviously be of
benefit to all group members.

To become a member of this project, sign up for a FutureGrid account
at the portal:

https://portal.futuregrid.org/

Follow the link to the above project and become a member.

Please read all aspects of the project description and terms of use of
FutureGrid. This facility is not intended for hosting production
commercial services or providing any other long-term production non-
commercial service and is purely intended as a test bed. Within these
fairly mild limits, it is our hope that this will prove to be a useful
service.

Alan

Alan Sill, Ph.D
Senior Scientist, High Performance Computing Center
Adjunct Professor of Physics, TTU
Vice President of Standards, Open Grid Forum

: Alan Sill, Texas Tech University Office: Drane 162, MS 4-1167 :
: e-mail: Alan...@ttu.edu ph. 806-834-5940 fax 806-834-4358 :

Gary Mazz

Dec 6, 2011, 12:23:42 PM12/6/11
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations !!!

Quick question, how do we on-ramp ?

-gary

Alan Sill

Dec 6, 2011, 1:06:56 PM12/6/11
to cloud...@googlegroups.com, Alan Sill
Hi Gary,

I see you are in and have already requested (and I have approved)
membership.

To get started, see the overall FutureGrid "Getting Started"
information at

https://portal.futuregrid.org/gettingstarted

The tutorials are a good method to get going quickly.

As time goes on, we may want to start up a community discussion board
to exchange information among users within the group as to how to use
and/or test each others implementations. I'm open to other
suggestions as to ways to share information.

Hope this helps,

Alan