I need info how cloud computing enables to save time, money and resources comparing to other models

Władysław Schneider

Sep 9, 2013, 5:39:26 PM9/9/13
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm making a presentation about cloud computing and I need some information - in a form of diagrams, charts, tables or any other kinds of statistic presentation - about how cloud computing enables to save time, money and resources in comparison with other models.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,
W. Schneider

Brian Gracely

Sep 9, 2013, 5:49:57 PM9/9/13
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I made a series of whiteboard videos that talk to several of the things you're looking for: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCloudcastNET/videos. Probably best to start with the ones that have "for Business Managers" in the title.

BG

--
-- ~~~~~
~~~~~

Władysław Schneider

Sep 9, 2013, 6:15:06 PM9/9/13
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Impressive work and I may use some information, but  still I'm going to need some charts etc.

Neil Hallworth

Władysław Schneider

Sep 10, 2013, 3:35:13 AM9/10/13
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but I don't need a cloud concept. I need a data table that shows business expenditure before and after going to the cloud. Or time savings before and after, etc.

James Pulley

Sep 10, 2013, 11:40:07 AM9/10/13
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Wladyslaw,

Your question is a difficult one on a generic basis for the main reason that most organizations have abandoned the performance engineering principals associated with the conservation of resources finite system resources in the time of cheap and powerful hardware and quite fast internal networks (1gb-10gb).   So, if you are moving an existing custom application to “the cloud” for a provider which now charges for every resource cycle of CPU, DISK, MEMORY and NETWORK you are often in for a rude awakening.

For many organization it is cheaper to run existing custom software on dedicated hardware versus the death of 10,000,000 very small and seemingly insignificant price charges.

I see this all the time in our performance engineering practice.   We receive weekly calls of desperation where people have moved to the cloud and have either experienced a severe drop in performance because they have a network bound application (and were not aware) and they have just lengthened the network considerably or they have just received their first month’s bill and the combined cycle costs more than exceeded the costs of maintaining the old hardware internally (including power, cooling and space requirements) but the old hardware has already been sold or donated by the finance group (which was driving the “move everything to the cloud to save money!)  No going back.  They are stuck.

Depending upon the application and the configuration some things can be done in situ to improve the utilization of system resources which are driving either low performance remotely or high costs for the now cloud-based hosting of a resource inefficient application.   Barring configuration changes you are generally looking at rewrites and re-architecting many applications in order to capitalize on the potential savings available.    Organizations finally have to recognize runway resource use sins in their development shops which have been hidden by years of every cheaper and more powerful servers.    There are also times when you can hide network sins by bringing in-house a caching appliance (either commercial or open source) to serve a lot of files locally that would normally come from the web application, thus improving performance by shortening the network length between the client and the node serving up the files.   In all cases the lessons are painful and require some unexpected out-of-pocket costs.

It is a painful lesson to be learned in all cases.   It’s best to understand how your application operates on its resource fingerprint that you will be charged for before you make the move.   You might also consider an “insurance move,” such as leveraging a provider with both physical and virtual hosting  in case you want to move some of the nodes to a fixed price physical host.   Rackspace is a good example of one such provider.

However, if you have designed your application well and have paid the extra up-front cost associated with reducing to a minimum your resource use fingerprint for your business actions then you could very well have a good sized bonus to moving to a cloud hosted model.  Your application also probably works very well on slow networks and older hardware already and really outperforms on faster networks and really moderately priced commodity servers.

There is a short O’Reilly book that you may want to consider as a part of your research, “Cloud Application Architectures” by George Reese.   It’s less than 200 pages of quite useful information for those planning to move to the cloud.

James Pulley                      Jpu...@newcoe.com

NewCOE, LLC                     704-351-0117

Neil Hallworth

Sep 10, 2013, 11:47:51 AM9/10/13
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Good luck with that.  You are likely to have 2 options, both of which are flawed:

- use vendor data (which is clearly at risk of being biased or careful with which costs it compares)
- use actual data from a real case study, but I think you need to have good relationships with end user organisations to get that data, and most of it will be protected by their natural business confidentiality.

On 10 September 2013 08:35, Władysław Schneider <wladyslaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, but I don't need a cloud concept. I need a data table that shows business expenditure before and after going to the cloud. Or time savings before and after, etc.

--
-- ~~~~~
~~~~~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cloud Computing" group.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cloud Computing" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cloud-computing.

NDH

Vic Winkler

Sep 10, 2013, 11:47:28 AM9/10/13
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Yet further evidence that there are people in every line of work who should really be in a different line of work…

-- Vic Winkler
My Cloud Security book:  http://amzn.to/gRY1Bp

UP 2013 is a world class lineup of speakers, covering solutions for today and tomorrow will look at the evolution of the cloud, and how it helps business and society to thrive. Listen, debate and enjoy the very latest trends and innovations, while networking with the movers and shakers of the cloud industry. Register at http://up-con.com/

Neil Hallworth

Sep 10, 2013, 12:01:50 PM9/10/13
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and one more thing, don't assume cloud automatically means savings.  There are many dynamics at play.

Scale over time has much to do with this.  For example, a company may want to launch a new product but is not sure of the market size, so they launch on a couple of small cloud servers.  The product grows gradually and they deploy a couple more cloud servers, then it really takes off and soon they have several hundred cloud servers.  At what point does it still make sense to add more and more cloud servers before it becomes more costly than hosting a number of dedicated servers for that product?  So the start up costs were low, but over time their running costs have become high.  When building a business case for cloud, several different scenarios about change over time need to be considered, along with the likelihood of those scenarios being realised, along with the risks associated with each scenario.  And, of course, the product may have been a flop and the low number of cloud servers are decommissioned leaving a fairly low risk profile.  The hardest to decide upon is the middle of the road case and to work out where the break point is around volumes and time which determines DIY, cloud, dedicated hosting etc. etc. choices.

You also need to understand where you're starting from.  Greenfield and cloud probably makes some sense, within the caveats above.  If you're a big established company, moving one service out of a data centre into the cloud might make that service appear more cost effective.  However, what you've done is distribute your fixed costs (buildings, insurance, security etc.) of your data centre across the platforms that are left behind, effectively making them more expensive than they used to be.  So whilst one service may appear lower cost, from an organisational perspective, you may have made the holistic service suite more expensive at worst, or have shifted costs from one business division to another business division without the impacted division having a seat at the table to discuss the impact on them.

Also, you made need to deploy new tools (bill monitoring, cloud brokering), resources (vendor / supplier / service managers rather than sys admins) and security tools, processes and resources that you didn't need when you were running your services in house.

Good luck picking your way through the complexity!

#IWORK4DELL

On 10 September 2013 08:35, Władysław Schneider <wladyslaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, but I don't need a cloud concept. I need a data table that shows business expenditure before and after going to the cloud. Or time savings before and after, etc.

--
-- ~~~~~
~~~~~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cloud Computing" group.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cloud Computing" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cloud-computing.

NDH

Władysław Schneider

Sep 10, 2013, 1:46:08 PM9/10/13
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for your answers, especially for a critical approach to the cloud. It is an interestic topic, but unfortunately I can't use it in my presentation, which has to be super optimistic.

James Pulley

Sep 10, 2013, 6:24:45 PM9/10/13
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

“…..which has to be super optimistic.  “

This sounds painful for your reputation after an actual deployment and a measurement of results.