Exercise about load balancing

Massimo Canonico

Nov 10, 2011, 8:03:56 AM11/10/11
to cloud-comput...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I would like to set up an exercise for my students concerning a kind of
load balancing problem.
Suppose to have a web server with a web site created by using a CMS
(joomla/drupal).

This CMS needs apache, php, a file system (of course) and MySql.
Put all those stuff in a VM and run it.

Suppose that a monitoring tool detects that the VM needs a clone of the
instance in order "slow down" the load. How can I set it up?

Observations:
- create a VM with apache+php+joomla+MySql should not be a problem
- monitor the cpu level and create a clone of the previous machine
should not be a problem (by using snapshot)
- how I can split the HTTP requests in those two instances could be a
problem (that is, I'm not sure how I can implement it)
- how I can manage the file system and MySql (since they must be
perfectly synchronized) could be a problem (that is, I'm not sure how I
can implement it)

How would you realize this kind of exercise?

Thanks,
Massimo

Herve Desaunois

Nov 13, 2011, 3:58:42 PM11/13/11
to cloud-comput...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Thanks can you go on amazone (Elastic Load Balancing) you have a nice solution to do load balancing with automatic VM startup if the CPU is full

Regards