Electricity map data is market based or location based

Shreyansh Jain

Nov 28, 2023, 9:20:12 AM11/28/23
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Team,

I was looking into the integration of Electricity map API integration with CCF for live fetching of Emission factor.

I was having one doubt regarding that : Doe Electricity map apis give response as market based or location based?

Please let me know if you have any information on the same.

Thanks,
Shreyansh Jain

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Nov 30, 2023, 12:25:54 PM11/30/23
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Shreyansh,

Thanks for your question! Electricity Maps returns carbon intensity data based on the electricity consumption/production for a region. Therefore, their data is location-based, which is in line with the estimates that CCF supports even when using the default emissions factors, as it does not include factors such as power purchase agreements (ppas) or renewable energy credits that are often associated with market-based emissions.

For more information, you can refer to https://www.electricitymaps.com/methodology or https://www.cloudcarbonfootprint.org/docs/emissions-factors/

Hope that helps!

The CCF Team at Thoughtworks