Latest and greatest Cloud Carbon Footprint updates

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Dec 22, 2022, 3:46:03 PM12/22/22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint

Hello Cloud Carbon Footprint community and subscribers!

We’re nearing the end of 2022 and it is hard to believe!

As the owners and maintainers of Cloud Carbon Footprint, we have continued to work at increasing the robustness of the tool to meet the various measurement, monitoring and improving the carbon intensity of your workloads in the cloud.

A main focus of the past few months has been on improving performance

If you haven’t yet seen, we’ve added an option to store estimates in MongoDB. We are very excited about the addition of this option as it will be very useful for those dealing with large amounts of data. This will add speed and flexibility to data retrieval and subsequent calls to the API. Going forward, please note that Mongo will be the preferred and fully supported caching method but the existing json cache option will not be removed.

For additional improvements in performance, we have enabled pagination when fetching estimates using the CCF client or when querying the API directly. Furthermore, there is now an option to filter estimates via the API directly based on cloud provider, accounts, services, regions and tags if you’re using the MongoDB cache.

We’ve also begun building out the ability to view and organize data in CCF through the use of specified tags. Through tags, users are able to group data in ways that are meaningful to their uses or organizations, for example applications or workloads pertaining to a particular function. By including these tags in your CCF estimation results, you will have an ability to differentiate data in custom ways that allow you to make comparisons and insights about cloud carbon across specific teams, products and/or structures.

To start, we have added a V1 tagging support for AWS only. This solution allows you to specify particular tag(s) to include in the AWS data retrieved. You can also specify tags to filter estimates via parameters when using the CCF API.

Going forward, we will work to add tagging support for GCP and Azure as a V1 solution, and later include the ability to view resource tags in the UI.

As the owners and maintainers of CCF, we continue to strive for improvements that will support your use of the tool. We would appreciate it if you could fill out this survey to help us better understand your needs and use cases, as well as adding your name to the Adopters file.

As always, we welcome contributions and PRs to further expand the tool’s capabilities beyond what our small team builds.

Thank you for your support!

The Cloud Carbon Footprint Team at Thoughtworks

C. G.

Dec 27, 2022, 5:35:49 PM12/27/22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hello Cloud Carbon Footprint team !

I wish you all the best for 2023 and keep looking forward for new updates !

In 2023, I will try to use the MongoDB option to store carbon estimations because, and it was one of my request this year, my company have a lot of subscriptions in Azure !

I will continue to develop CCF into my organization and communicate about the benefits of this tool.

One of the first thing I would like to add into CCF, is to integrate Alibaba Cloud as the 4th CSP. I know they have a tool called "Energy Expert" ( https://www.alibabacloud.com/fr/product/energy-expert ) that i will deep dive in during the next month.
I am in contact with Alibaba and I told them about CCF and the possibility of contributing to the project.

The possibility to work with tags is also very useful for future reporting. I will keep an eye when Azure Tags will be functionnal.

Thank you for all the work you've done !
Clement