Function as a Service footprint

Łukasz Mastalerz

Nov 22, 2021, 8:28:41 AM11/22/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hello,

Couple of months ago I wanted to understand the footprint of serverless and Function as a Service in particular as compared to VM's and realised that there doesn't seem to be anything that would give me this data at the granularity I wanted.
I've done a bit of research and published my findings here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/quantifying-greenness-faas-lukasz-mastalerz

If you think this methodology is something worth implementing in Cloud Carbon Footprint calculator I'm happy to help.

Cheers,
Lukasz

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Nov 23, 2021, 10:50:14 AM11/23/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Lukasz,

Thank you for reaching out. Also, awesome work! We are going to review as a team and get back to you soon.

Thanks,
Cam

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Dec 21, 2021, 3:46:22 PM12/21/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hello!

Great job with your article! I think your findings seem to be very agreeable. Have you had a chance to look through our methodology and how we go about estimating AWS Lambda?

Source: https://www.cloudcarbonfootprint.org/docs/methodology#a-note-on-aws-lambda-compute-estimates

If you have the time/bandwidth, we would be happy to look over and issue/pull request you would be willing to submit to incorporate any update in the methodology and implementation that you might have in mind!

Thanks,
Cam