getting CPU utilization based on usageAmount for cloud resources

Shivansh Srivastava

May 2, 2024, 1:04:12 AMMay 2
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi CCF,
I have a requirement where I need to get the CPU utilization for the servers present in the Azure cluster but while going through the code I could only find the usageAmount being used along with vCPU hours to calculate the emission for cloud services. So do we have something different from how it is done for on-premise servers where we need to provide CPU Utilization for each input row. Could you please suggest how to get CPU utilizations
 for all the services I am using in azure cluster or could you explain how you are calculating CPU Utilization based on usageAmount..
 Please do correct me if I am wrong based on my understanding so far.

Thanks,
Shivansh

Cloud Carbon Footprint

May 17, 2024, 11:58:42 AMMay 17
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Shivansh,

Thanks for your question. We currently use an average CPU utilization of 50% for cloud compute resources. At one point, we did support APIs that provided exact CPU utilization but went a different direction due to the lack of support for Azure and other services, and we now fall back to a projected estimate for the average server utilization of servers in hyperscale data centers in 2020 of 50%, from the 2016 U.S. Data Center Energy Usage Report.

We're open to suggestions or contributions if you have ideas for how to go about this with Azure, including with the upcoming use of the Cost Details API.

Thanks!
The CCF Team