TypeError: e is null

Sophie Vos

Jun 22, 2021, 11:02:11 AMJun 22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi everyone,

I am a master's student Computer Science and am currently writing my thesis about energy efficiency in the public cloud. I would like to run an experiment using the CCF tool, but I did not manage to couple it to my AWS account.

Running the code with mocked data works for me. And running yarn start does not give an error in the terminal but provides the ambiguous error "TypeError: e is null" on the local host. Attached are some screenshots.

Thank you for the tool and hopefully someone has some experience with this error because I am a bit stuck... :)

Best,
Sophie
terminal.png
Screenshot from 2021-06-22 15-35-12.png

Sophie Vos

Jun 22, 2021, 11:06:34 AMJun 22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
could it be because some data is missing in my billing table?

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Jun 22, 2021, 12:00:25 PMJun 22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Sophie,

Thanks for messaging about this!

Just to confirm, you are seeing this data when you attempt to run with your AWS account information entered in the .env file in the api package? And running `yarn start` from the root?

Which browser are you attempting this with?

Could you please also confirm that you are entering the following variables?:
AWS_ATHENA_DB_NAME
AWS_ATHENA_DB_TABLE
AWS_ATHENA_REGION
AWS_ATHENA_QUERY_RESULT_LOCATION
AWS_BILLING_ACCOUNT_ID
AWS_BILLING_ACCOUNT_NAME
AWS_USE_BILLING_DATA=true
AWS_AUTH_MODE=default

Thanks,
Cam

Sophie Vos

Jun 23, 2021, 4:44:04 AMJun 23
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Thanks for replying.

Yes, whenever I run yarn start-with-mock-data everything works.
I followed the steps on https://www.cloudcarbonfootprint.org/docs/aws to connect CCF to my AWS account.
Indeed I altered the variables in the packages/api/.env file and ran yarn start afterward.

The browser I use is Firefox but I do not think that is the issue as the mocked data works in Firefox.
Moreover, CCF links correctly to Athena as I received an error message earlier that the column product_vcpu was not present in my database.
After I added this column manually in Athena this error went away and I received the error that I forwarded in my question.

So I do think my billing/usage data is in the wrong format somehow but unsure how I can solve this.
In my AWS account, I only have S3 instances and no compute instances so maybe that could cause a problem?
And I have quite some empty columns in the billing table.

Thanks a lot.

Best,
Sophie