CPU description for processors which are not present in SPECpower

Shivansh Srivastava

Nov 24, 2023, 7:57:31 AM11/24/23
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Team , through CCF on-premise code , I found that the processors which are not available in SPEC Power , max and min watts are taken as a constant value present in OnPremiseFootprintEstimationConstants.ts file.

MAX_WATTS_AVG: 367.1444444,
MIN_WATTS_AVG: 65.81111111,

So I am curious to know how did you come up with those values.
Is there any resource/documentation that you are referring to..

Thanks,
Shivansh..

Shivansh Srivastava

Nov 27, 2023, 5:23:07 AM11/27/23
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi team , a quick follow up on the above query..

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Nov 27, 2023, 2:16:43 PM11/27/23
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Shivansh,

On-premise estimates closely follow our compute methodology in which we use average or median values to estimate the usage for unknown micro-architectures. When estimating cloud usage with CCF, these averages are usually scoped by cloud provider. The numbers you are seeing for on-premise are scoped across all of the compute processor families that we support since there is usually not enough information available to scope it further. So, for example, the number you are seeing for MIN_WATTS_AVG is the result of calculating the average for all of the values of each family within the MIN_WATTS_BY_COMPUTE_PROCESSOR list. The same goes for MAX_WATTS_AVG and its respective MAX_WATTS_BY_COMPUTE processor family.

It is important to also note for On-Premise that you can configure custom min/max watt averages per machine family if you don't wish to rely on SPECPower averages. Since SPECPower only covers full servers, it's not unusual for a laptop or desktop processor family to be missing. This could be a good workaround if you have an unknown processor family that appears frequently within your data, and you'd like to determine these values yourself in hopes of getting more accurate estimations that are specific to your usage. You can read more in our documentation on On-Premise Configuration Options.

Best,
The CCF Team at Thoughtworks