Column definitions for data/aws-instances.csv

Mike Polson

Aug 26, 2022, 11:35:17 AM8/26/22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi All!

I've searched Github and the site docs, but am not able to find definitions for several columns in the cloud-carbon-coefficients/data/aws-instances.csv file.

Specifically, I'm looking to understand :

-- PkgWatt @ Idle, @10% etc.  What does PkgWatt represent?

-- Similarly for "Instance @ Idle, @10% etc.

-- What does column Delta Full Machine contain?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Mitali Agrawal

Sep 2, 2022, 5:55:28 AM9/2/22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
I have the exact same questions. Its hard to understand where these values are used in the calculation.
Subscribing for receiving more information in future.

Cheers!
Mitali

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Sep 2, 2022, 10:42:22 AM9/2/22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hello,

Thanks for reaching out!

The work that has been done in the coefficients repository was able to leverage research and analysis done by Teads.

To try to answer your questions:

-- PkgWatt @ Idle, @10% etc.  What does PkgWatt represent?
PkgWatts represents the power consumption reported in watts for each CPU at the package level.

-- Similarly for "Instance @ Idle, @10% etc.
Instance @ Idle/10% represents he power consumption reported in watts for each CPU at an instance level.

-- What does column Delta Full Machine contain?
Delta Full Machine represents the delta ratio in watts for full machine estimation. For this calculation, you need to consider the platform number of CPU socket(s), CPU TDP L1 (in Watts) and an arbitrary ratio for full machine estimation (CPU TDP %, could be ~20%).

For more information regarding Teads' research, you can refer to a couple helpful articles:
https://medium.com/teads-engineering/building-an-aws-ec2-carbon-emissions-dataset-3f0fd76c98ac#6fb4

Thanks,
The Cloud Carbon Footprint Team