Memory, Storage, and Networking utilization assumption

51 visualizzazioni
Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

Maryam Arbabzadeh

da leggere,
13 dic 2021, 13:22:2713/12/21
a Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hello,

I am part of Climatiq team, a carbon emissions intelligence platform, which hosts an open dataset of emission factors and an API to collect emissions data. We have included the cloud carbon footprint emissions in our database. Is it correct to assume that the emissions output for Memory (in kg of CO2eq/GB), Storage (in kg of CO2eq/TB), and Networking (in kg of CO2eq/GB) yields a single hour's emissions for the given memory/storage/and networking size? You have provided the utilization factor for CPU only, I wonder what the utilization assumptions for Memory, Storage, and Networking are? So, for example for an 8 GB memory, should we just assume that the emissions per hour would be Emission Factor (kg of CO2eq/GB)* 8 GB /hour?

Thank you very much for your attention!

Best regards,
Maryam

Maryam Arbabzadeh

da leggere,
16 dic 2021, 06:49:2116/12/21
a cloud-carbo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

 Is it correct to assume that the emissions output for Memory (in kg of CO2eq/GB), Storage (in kg of CO2eq/TB), and Networking (in kg of CO2eq/GB) yields a single hour's emissions for the given memory/storage/and networking size? You have provided the utilization factor for CPU only, I wonder what the utilization assumptions for Memory, Storage, and Networking are? So, for example for an 8 GB memory, should we just assume that the emissions per hour would be Emission Factor (kg of CO2eq/GB)* 8 GB /hour?

Thank you very much!

Dan Lewis-Toakley

da leggere,
16 dic 2021, 13:59:2616/12/21
a Maryam Arbabzadeh, cloud-carbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maryam,

If I understand you correctly - then yes, I think your example is correct :)

When it comes to Memory, Storage and Networking we don't consider utilization factors because the energy associated with those usage types is more accurately reflected by from the amount of GB provisioned (Memory), TB provisioned (Storage) and GB transferred (Networking). So if you have provisioned 8 GB of Memory, our methodology uses this number to estimate energy consumption, even if you only utilize 2 GB of it.

Hope that answers your query! If you still have questions, we can set up time to meet and discuss.

Best,
Dan

--
We're excited to hear from you and hope you're enjoying Cloud Carbon Footprint.
Please fill out our feedback form: https://forms.gle/nFzkRioryy4R1DGB6

Dan Lewis-Toakley
Green Cloud Lead, North America
Pronouns He/Him