How to disable caching in CCF backstage plugin

Mohammad Haque

Nov 8, 2022, 6:40:48 PM11/8/22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi everyone,

I'm new to backstage, and so I apologize for the trouble if this has a simple answer.  I am attempting to disable caching in the backstage plugin of this app to prevent the creation of cached artifacts such as `estimates.cache.month.json` and `estimates.cache.week.json`.  According to https://www.cloudcarbonfootprint.org/docs/data-persistence-and-caching/#caching-configurations this can be disabled by setting certain environment variables, but I'm not sure where those variables should be set.  Do they go in `app-config.yaml`?  If so what is the correct syntax for this.  I appreciate the help!

Regards,

Mohammad

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Nov 9, 2022, 1:44:50 PM11/9/22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Mohammad,

Thanks for reaching out and using the plugin! Yes, this is an environment variable in should go into your `app-config.yaml` file (or similar i.e. `app-config.local.yaml`). The name of the property is `disableCache` and should look like this within your client object of your config:

cloudCarbonFootprint:
     client:
          ignoreCache: true

Let us know if that helps!

Cheers,
The Cloud Carbon Footprint team at Thoughtworks

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Nov 9, 2022, 1:45:59 PM11/9/22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Sorry, had a slight typo in the example -- make sure it says `disableCache` and not `ignoreCache`:

cloudCarbonFootprint:
     client:
          disableCache: true

Mohammad Haque