The Latest and Greatest Cloud Carbon Footprint Updates

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Oct 19, 2021, 6:28:50 PM10/19/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint

Hello Cloud Carbon Footprint community and subscribers!

It’s been awhile since our last update, but only because we’ve been hard at work making some very exciting improvements to Cloud Carbon Footprint.

Cloud Carbon Footprint is meant to be a tool to not only give you insight into the carbon footprint of your cloud use and the impact of your particular service, account and regional infrastructure makeup. We’ve also aspired for this tool to inspire and enable action, and help you work towards a greener cloud. To do this, we have a brand new Recommendations Dashboard.

  • The dashboard features a table of rightsizing recommendations and the associated details of instructions, instance, cost savings, and most exciting - carbon and energy savings. (2021-09-13)

  • The recommendations table currently supports recommendations for AWS and Azure.

  • You can sort, filter and search through the recommendations to find exactly those that are most prudent to implement. (2021-10-06)

  • The forecast component at the top of the dashboard helps you envision the savings you could have on a monthly basis, and what that means. It works with the filters so you can forecast reductions for specific cloud providers, accounts, regions, and recommendation types. (2021-10-13)

Additionally, we have continued making improvements on our methodology as we’ve committed to bringing as accurate carbon estimations as possible. You may have seen some updates in your estimates because we have added support for certain ‘unknown’ usage types.

  • In cases where we don’t have a clear path forward for estimating a particular usage, we are able to approximate the carbon using the usage type and your average carbon for that usage type. (2021-08-24)

  • Learn more about how we Handle Unknown Usage Types

Also of note, we now support an alternative approach to getting carbon estimations outside of running the app or hitting the API: the lookup table.

  • The lookup table approach allows you to lookup a particular usage in the table and find the associated carbon per usage unit. (2021-09-13)

  • Learn more about Creating a Lookup Table

  • We would like to thank @mfulleratlassian for contributing this functionality.

Last but not least, you may have seen the addition of a new repo: cloud-carbon-coefficients that contains the coefficients we rely on for various instance and machine types. We’d like to thank @davidmytton for this contribution!

As always, we are open to your thoughts, questions, and ideas. Send a message to this group or submit an issue!

Cheers,

The Green Cloud Team

cloudcarbonfootprint.org

cloud-carbon-footprint github

Danielle Erickson

Oct 19, 2021, 6:50:59 PM10/19/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
* Slight correction - Recommendations table is currently supported for GCP and AWS. Not yet supported for Azure.
Apologies!