AWS - Can you show hourly data? & Can you see historical data?

Zoë Dunn

Mar 31, 2022, 10:01:57 AM3/31/22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi,

I'm using this tool as part of my dissertation and I was wondering if it was possible on AWS to view hourly data rather than daily data? I've seen someone discuss this question about Azure and see it wasn't possible, so I just thought I'd ask about AWS in case.

Also can it produce historical data from before Athena was set up to record it? I seem to be getting very low values that start at a time I wasn't expecting and just questioned where these came from.

Any help or advise would be really appreciated,
Thanks,
Zoe

Zoë Dunn

Apr 6, 2022, 7:06:32 AM4/6/22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi again,

To add another question, there appears to be some days that have been skipped? It hasn't collected the data for these even though there is data on Athena, it has just skipped past like those dates didn't exist, the dates don't appear on the x axis, I just wondered if there was a reason for this?

Thanks again,
Zoe

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Apr 20, 2022, 12:21:50 PM4/20/22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Zoë,

Thanks for reaching out! Currently, I don't believe the Athena query supports requests more granular than daily, so we are unable to get the timestamp data necessary to group results by hours at this time.

When you enable the Cost And Usage Reports, it unfortunately does not gather historical data. We have found that the way to go around this is to submit a support request ticket to get AWS help to backfill data into the CUR.

Regarding your last note about certain dates being skipped, this sounds like odd behavior. Can you please make sure you have your cache files cleared before running, and make sure you are running with the same groupBy parameter each time? We are looking to potentially refactor our cache logic, but in the meantime, you could also use the ignoreCache=true param.

Thanks,
CCF Team