Impacts of S3 or object storage: how are they estimated

Olivier De Meringo

Jan 26, 2024, 9:26:13 AMJan 26
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hello,

Thank you for the work on CCF and the effort on documenting the methodology !

I am wondering how the impacts of S3 or other object storage are estimated in CCF ?

My assumption is that we consider S3 storage as a particular kind of SSD multiplied by a redundancy factor that depends on the class of storage. Is that correct ?

I could not locate the answer in the doc/methodology, I would be happy to contribute it if needed.

I attempted to post this question last week from a train with poor connectivity ;-) but I am not sure that the message reach the list or if it is awaiting validation for first post.... If it is a duplicate please feel free to erase it.

Kind regards,
Olivier de Meringo

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Feb 22, 2024, 2:27:34 PMFeb 22
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Olivier,

Thanks for your question! You are pretty much spot-on. We parse the usage type from the CUR report where we can determine the machine type based on the S3 configuration. Depending on the usage type, we can determine whether the underlying storage is using an SSD or HDD so that we can use the appropriate coefficient when estimating. You can check out a list of those services in this file as an example of how we go about this for all service that use associated storage, including S3. From there, we estimate the energy usage based on the allocated storage and multiply it by the replication factor for that appropriate service.

We realized that some of the specifics may be missing from the Storage Methodology, which is why we always welcome feedback. If you feel this documentation could be improved to elaborate on this, we would welcome opening a PR to do so if you're still interested.

Thanks,
The CCF Team at Thoughtworks

Olivier De Meringo

Mar 18, 2024, 1:16:05 PMMar 18
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Thank you,

If anybody is looking for the replication factor for S3, I guess they are defined in `packages/aws/src/domain/AwsFootprintEstimationConstants.ts`:
https://github.com/cloud-carbon-footprint/cloud-carbon-footprint/blob/1598cafed299fa7e4c94159b899edc0e07d14965/packages/aws/src/domain/AwsFootprintEstimationConstants.ts#L130

Olivier