Org vs Account Level Data Aggregation

Sam West

Nov 16, 2021, 12:18:48 PM11/16/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hello,

We are investigating using this tool to collect both Org level and Account level emissions data. Our end goal is to use the CLI to feed data into dashboards for each Team (typically multiple AWS accounts) and for the entire Org (all AWS accounts). In each dashboard we want a breakdown based on service, and ideally include the list of recommended actions.

Is this kind of granularity easily achievable by deploying a single Athena instance? Or perhaps a better question would be: Is the emissions data associated with an account so that we could pick it apart after aggregating it?

Sorry if that isn't clear enough. I would be happy to jump on a hangouts call to talk it through if that is an option.

Thanks!
Sam West - Kaluza

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Nov 19, 2021, 9:23:38 AM11/19/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Sam,

Thanks for reaching out!
By default, a single Athena instance should be able to meet your needs. I'm not sure your specific constraints, but through the dashboard you are able to see a holistic view of your usage , as well as drill down by account or service (check out the demo at demo.cloudcarbonfootprint.org). You'll also have more flexibility if you were to utilize the API rather than the CLI.

Hope that helps!
The Green Cloud Team

Elie

Nov 19, 2021, 11:39:41 AM11/19/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Green Cloud Carbon team,

Would it be possible to get the input data for the demo?

Sincerely,
Elie

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Nov 23, 2021, 1:11:45 PM11/23/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hello Elie,

I am bringing the conversation back here for transparency :)

If I understand you question correctly, the usage data in the demo app does not accurately correlate for the energy and co2e emissions calculations. This is because all of the data used for the demo is mock data that was randomly generated. If you think it would be helpful to see these numbers accurately correlate, we would be happy to add a ticket to our project board to update this!

Thanks,
Cam

Elie

Nov 26, 2021, 9:21:03 AM11/26/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi CCF,

I believe it would be beneficial to have an accurate overview of what the application can do. But I don't believe it to be a priority.

Sincerely,
Elie

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Nov 29, 2021, 1:02:43 PM11/29/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Thank you for the input! We can discuss with our the best way to make this happen.