How exactly is the compiler supposed to be installed?

Param Siddharth (Manu)

Oct 31, 2022, 11:44:53 AM10/31/22
to Closure Compiler Discuss

Hello everyone! I discovered the Closure Library last year, and have been looking to try out the Closure Compiler out locally.

From what I understood, I can download the JAR from Maven and use it with Java in the command-line, but the README in this repository tells otherwise – It says:

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/30315706/198049324-b9aa514a-2e83-4112-b9eb-7cbcf3f759b0.png

However, the NPM page (https://www.npmjs.com/package/google-closure-compiler) says:

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/30315706/198049559-322b5093-362d-4882-8f31-5ab15152942f.png

I am already aware of the fact that the JavaScript version of the Closure Compiler is no longer maintained, but in my past I've come across libraries on NPM that can be installed globally and are not actually made in JavaScript. Is the package currently published on NPM now a wrapper for the Java version? If not, should we edit the README to explicitly say that the NPM version is deprecated?

Thank you!

John Lenz

Oct 31, 2022, 4:32:35 PM10/31/22
to closure-comp...@googlegroups.com
The npm packages the native builds (created using the native-image tool from the Java sources) and the Java version.   I agree the text is confusing as it doesn't have any context or any explanation of how it relates to the other versions.

--

---

Param Siddharth (Manu)

Nov 1, 2022, 11:10:42 AM11/1/22
to Closure Compiler Discuss
Oh, so the NPM package is a wrapper, then. In that case, we should update the README for the same, right?

rish...@google.com

Nov 1, 2022, 11:39:47 PM11/1/22
to Closure Compiler Discuss
I've filed an internal bug to clarify the readme (b/256958093). Bradford has responded on the upstream discussion https://github.com/google/closure-compiler/discussions/4003