Google Closure Compiler / Library / debug loading and ClojureScript

David Nolen

May 25, 2021, 1:28:30 PM5/25/21
to closure-comp...@googlegroups.com, closure-lib...@googlegroups.com
ClojureScript is probably the largest community of consumers of Closure Compiler & Library outside of Google itself. However, I don't believe it's well understood why we continue to rely so heavily on the old style Closure namespaces and avoid ES6 modules.

The short version is that the old style Closure namespace delivers pervasive late binding which is essential for an interactive development style that simply isn't possible with any other popular hot-reloading tool - this includes React (Native), Flutter and SwiftUI.

To see a pretty interesting demo of how this method can used to rapidly deliver products see the following post: https://vouch.io/developing-mobile-digital-key-applications-with-clojurescript/

Hopefully this provides some insight and some things to weigh when considering future changes to Closure and Closure Library.

Thank you,
David
Lead ClojureScript Developer