gcc 4.9.2 build from source

Michael E Goldsby

Nov 23, 2014, 2:00:23 AM11/23/14
to gmp-...@gmplib.org, cloog-de...@googlegroups.com

Reporting as requested in output of make -k check.

Solaris 11.2-42 x86 running in Virtualbox on Ubuntu Linus 14.04 over Intel CoreDuo.

check.log.gz

Marc Glisse

Nov 23, 2014, 9:17:42 AM11/23/14
to Michael E Goldsby, gmp-...@gmplib.org, cloog-de...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

it appears you are using an old version of GMP, please try a more recent
one. If you still get errors with the latest version, see:
https://gmplib.org/manual/Reporting-Bugs.html
so we can better help you.

--
Marc Glisse

dclarke blastwave.org

Nov 23, 2014, 4:14:59 PM11/23/14
to gmp-bugs, Marc Glisse, Michael E Goldsby, cloog-development

> On November 23, 2014 at 9:17 AM Marc Glisse <marc....@inria.fr>
> wrote:
>

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Michael E Goldsby wrote:
>
> > Reporting as requested in output of make -k check.
> >
> > Solaris 11.2-42 x86 running in Virtualbox on Ubuntu Linus 14.04 over
> > Intel
> > CoreDuo.
>
> Hello,
>
> it appears you are using an old version of GMP, please try a more
> recent
> one.

The funny thing is that the folks in the GCC project and maillist point
to an older version of gmp as the version to use. See
ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/ where gmp 4.3.2 is what they
have there. If and when problems occur I have been pointed in that
direction over and over. I don't like it, but such is life with
bootstrapping gcc.

Dennis

Torbjörn Granlund

Nov 23, 2014, 4:32:25 PM11/23/14
to dclarke blastwave.org, gmp-bugs, Marc Glisse, Michael E Goldsby, cloog-development
"dclarke blastwave.org" <dcl...@blastwave.org> writes:

The funny thing is that the folks in the GCC project and maillist point
to an older version of gmp as the version to use. See
ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/ where gmp 4.3.2 is what they
have there. If and when problems occur I have been pointed in that
direction over and over. I don't like it, but such is life with
bootstrapping gcc.

We're sadly aware of GCC's loud recommendation of severely obsolete
software.

The right approach for GCC is to use a modern GMP, compile it with
--disable-assembly, and link to it statically.

Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622

dclarke blastwave.org

Nov 23, 2014, 5:02:11 PM11/23/14
to Torbjörn Granlund, gmp-bugs, Marc Glisse, cloog-development, Michael E Goldsby

> We're sadly aware of GCC's loud recommendation of severely obsolete
> software.
>
> The right approach for GCC is to use a modern GMP, compile it with
> --disable-assembly, and link to it statically.

I just extract the tarball into the gcc source tree and everything
builds fine without any issues. This rev seems to work well :

node000 $ grep "__GNU_MP_VERSION" /usr/local/include/gmp.h
#define __GNU_MP_VERSION 6
#define __GNU_MP_VERSION_MINOR 0
#define __GNU_MP_VERSION_PATCHLEVEL 0
#define __GNU_MP_RELEASE (__GNU_MP_VERSION * 10000 +
__GNU_MP_VERSION_MINOR * 100 + __GNU_MP_VERSION_PATCHLEVEL)

Not bad results at all :

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2014-10/msg01022.html

So I don't know what the issue is over at ye old GCC project but I have
seen no issues with gmp in a long while. However, just for the sake of
giving the optimization levels a try I want to see if gmp can build on
Solaris 10 with the latest release of Oracle Studio 12.4.

I'll let you know.

Dennis

Cédric Bastoul

Nov 27, 2014, 11:53:05 AM11/27/14
to Michael E Goldsby, gmp-...@gmplib.org, CLooG Development
Hi,
thanks for the report. For CLooG, the problem is diff on this system does not support the "--ignore-matching-lines" option. I got a report on this a while ago, I'll eventually fix it.

If you need to test it, the fix proposed by Marc Girod is to use in cloog/test/checker.sh, instead of --ignore-matching-lines=CLooG:

        $cloog $options -q $input > cloog_temp;
        diff -u -w cloog_temp $output | grep -v CLooG;

Best regards,

Cedric