NPE when starting REPL from launcher in Mars

Mark Addleman

Jun 27, 2015, 2:29:59 PM6/27/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com
I'm using Mars and the head of CCW.  When I start a REPL using a launcher, I get an NPE:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2015-06-27 11:26:39.511
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Waiting for new REPL process to be ready...".
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at ccw.launching.ClojureLaunchDelegate$REPLURLOpener$1.run(ClojureLaunchDelegate.java:90)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Not sure what other info is useful, let me know if you need me to run some experiments

Laurent Petit

Jun 27, 2015, 4:42:32 PM6/27/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
If you create a project from scratch, and launch a repl for it, do you get the same result?

What are the settings of the repl preferences page and general preferences page (related to leiningen and cider-nrepl)?

By what means exactly do you launch the repl ? (From an editor with keyboard shortcut, or with context menu, or the top menu, or from the package explorer on the project node, etc.)?

Also, can you file an issue and attach your workspace's .metadata/.log file? This would be helpful (maybe you can close eclipse, remove the existing .log file, before logging the event).

Regards,

Laurent

Envoyé avec Mailbox

Laurent PETIT

Jun 28, 2015, 5:34:39 PM6/28/15
to clojuredev-users
Hello Mark,

I tried to follow the paths that could lead to the problem you mention. It's an interesting issue, since it seems to be either that you found a way to start the REPL that is not managed by the code, or there is a race condition that has not been taken care of.

So I would really be interested in knowing more about the execution context.
In the mean time (but not before a few days I fear), I can add more traces to the code to gather information automatically.

--
Laurent Petit

Laurent PETIT

Jul 1, 2015, 3:08:34 AM7/1/15
to clojuredev-users
Hello Mark, I have released 2 things in the master branch:

- a protection against the NullPointerException which logs the error and does not show a popup to the user anymore
- logs everywhere the NullPointerException cause could be related to. This way if you can still reproduce the problem (no REPL automatically created) you will be able to hand me over a .metadata/.log file with more useful indications on what could be going wrong.

Hope you will find time to test this version and report info before thursday.

--
Laurent Petit

--
Laurent Petit

Mark Addleman

Jul 2, 2015, 1:48:17 AM7/2/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com
Hi Laurent -

I installed the lastest.  I do not receive an NPE in the UI anymore - this is expected.  I can't tell from the metadata/.log if I am recreated the problem or not.  The log is attached.

The steps to recreate:
  • I have a REPL launcher - also attached
  • Start the repl from the Run button on the toolbar
I'm not sure what additional information is useful.

Laurent Petit

--
Laurent Petit

--
Laurent Petit

.log
Evernote REPL.launch

Laurent PETIT

Jul 2, 2015, 4:09:11 AM7/2/15
to clojuredev-users
Thanks Mark, the log confirmed that there is a kind of bug in CCW, as, even if you do not get the exception anymore, you have to click on the nrepl link to open a repl view, while it should automatically open one.

The case of having a persistent launch configuration has not been battle tested, I will debug it.

Would you mind creating a proper issue in CCW's github bugtracker?

Cheers,

Laurent Petit

--
Laurent Petit

--
Laurent Petit

Laurent Petit

Laurent PETIT

Jul 2, 2015, 11:06:46 AM7/2/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mark,

I have pushed a fix that will enable auto loading of repl view in your case. Should be delivered to master update site in 1/2 hour if build is successful.

Cheers,

Laurent
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to clojuredev-use...@googlegroups.com.

Laurent Petit

--
Laurent Petit

--
Laurent Petit

Laurent Petit

Mark Addleman

Jul 3, 2015, 3:37:16 PM7/3/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com
It seems to work just fine now.  Thanks!  I'm guessing you don't need me to file an issue any more :)

Laurent Petit

--
Laurent Petit

--