[ANN] cider-nrepl support with CLOJURESCRIPT SUPPORT

Laurent PETIT

Apr 9, 2015, 11:00:04 AM4/9/15
to counterclockwise, clojuredev-users
Hello,

I'm pleased to announce that cider-nrepl support has landed in the eponym branch on the github repository.

- can do everything that CCW did already, but leverages cider-nrepl when its nREPL middlewares are found
- if piggieback middleware is also present, CCW adapts to the REPL's mode (clojure or clojurescript). Meaning Clojurescript completion and documentation!

We need help for testing the stability of this development ...

You can test the cider-nrepl support by installing it:

- as a plugin via the software update site : http://updatesite.ccw-ide.org/branch/cider-nrepl/ (*)

The full changelog is here: http://updatesite.ccw-ide.org/branch/cider-nrepl/CI0219-cider-nrepl-git1de78d5/ChangeLog.html#_changes_between_counterclockwise_0_32_0_and_0_33_0

(*) this may require you later to uninstall and reinstall CCW from the stable branch - note that you won't lose configuration data in the process

--
Laurent Petit

Ivan L

Apr 11, 2015, 6:33:21 AM4/11/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com
I will be able to help test this on Windows next weekend if no other windows user has tried it by then!

Laurent PETIT

Apr 11, 2015, 6:36:51 AM4/11/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com
This would be great!

Le samedi 11 avril 2015, Ivan L <ivan.l...@gmail.com> a écrit :
I will be able to help test this on Windows next weekend if no other windows user has tried it by then!

Laurent Petit

casper

Apr 24, 2015, 5:34:32 PM4/24/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I was just testing this and it works as usual when cider-nrepl is not in my profiles, but when I put [cider/cider-nrepl "0.8.2"] in there autocompletion stops working. Otherwise the repl seems to work fine. Is there anything I am missing to get autocompletion working?

I haven't tried Clojurescript as I don't really know how to set up a project that it would work with. Do you have an example project I can try it out with (or a template)?

/Casper

Laurent PETIT

Apr 24, 2015, 5:54:05 PM4/24/15
to clojuredev-users, counterclockwise
Hi, You must use 0.9.0-SNAPSHOT of cider-nrepl. The stable 0.9.0 should arrive soon.

I would be interesting in having confirmation from you that autocompletion works with 0.9.0-SNAPSHOT, if you can.

Regards,

-- Laurent

Laurent Petit

casper

Apr 24, 2015, 6:00:19 PM4/24/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Just updated it to the SNAPSHOT version, and it works now. Nice work!

Any hints on setting up a Clojurescript project for testing?

casper

Apr 24, 2015, 7:14:30 PM4/24/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
I tried out the Chestnut Clojurescript template and I can get a CLJS browser repl running from inside CCW and most things seem to be working in the repl.

The big two features i look for:

1) Auto completion: It works! Though it doesn't do "fuzzy" completion like the normal CCW repl (which is nice).

2) Go to definition doesn't work in the browser repl.

All in all, very nice so far. :)

/Casper

casper

Apr 27, 2015, 4:47:38 PM4/27/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
I was playing around with Clojurescript some more. I am still somewhat of a noob in clojurescript, since setting up an environment that I like is harder that it seems.

The most robust solution seems to be figwheel. The newer versions come with a repl, which you can connect to using nrepl. Is there any way to use the figwheel repl and get autocompletion to work?

/Casper

Laurent PETIT

Apr 27, 2015, 6:07:23 PM4/27/15
to clojuredev-users, counterclockwise
I guess you have figured out how to connect to the figweel repl using Window > Connect to REPL.

To get autocompletion to work:
- with the stable version of Counterclockwise, you must manage to get `ccw.server` ( https://clojars.org/ccw/ccw.server ) on your project's classpath through leiningen (I guess by adding it to the :dev dependencies?)
- with the cider-nrepl version, if figwheel starts its nrepl server with cider-nrepl enabled, then it should work out of the box

Laurent PETIT

Apr 27, 2015, 6:09:18 PM4/27/15
to clojuredev-users, counterclockwise
Maybe I misunderstood things. What kind of REPL through nrepl does figwheel provide ? For clojure ? For clojurescript ? For clojurescript, you're out of luck with `ccw.server`. For clojurescript, if you manage to get cider-nrepl middlewares added to the figwheel nrepl, you should be good, I think
--
Laurent Petit

casper

Apr 28, 2015, 3:57:10 PM4/28/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Figwheel provides a clojurescript repl when you run 'lein figwheel', however when connecting to figwheel through nrepl it gives you a clojure repl which can then be used to start a clojurescript repl by running

user> (use 'figwheel-sidecar.repl-api)
user> (cljs-repl)

I'll see if I can get it going by getting the right things on the classpath.

Laurent PETIT

Apr 28, 2015, 4:25:46 PM4/28/15
to clojuredev-users, counterclockwise
OK, this will be a very interesting feedback, thanks!

Tooling for CLJS is still such a complex beast, and fast moving target!!

Ivan L

May 2, 2015, 2:31:05 AM5/2/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
I have been so busy I haven't been able to even open my personal projects :(.

I did peak at it last weekend, and I wasn't able to get cljs to be recognized in template cljx-start-lib.  Maybe I was doing it wrong?  I'll try to take another look this weekend. :(

Laurent PETIT

May 2, 2015, 3:15:43 AM5/2/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ivan, no problem and many thanks for the status update!

cider-nrepl 0.9.0 has not been released yet, and I do not intend to release the new cow version prior to this.

Ivan L

May 4, 2015, 3:19:01 AM5/4/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
I get #<CompilerException java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No single method: _setup of interface: cljs.repl.IJavaScriptEnv found for function: -setup of protocol: IJavaScriptEnv, compiling:(cemerick/piggieback.clj:68:15)>

for loading clj from chestnut template and it drops me into debug view.  Can you share your setup steps casper?

Laurent PETIT

May 4, 2015, 3:25:15 AM5/4/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Cljs being a fast moving target, there is a non nil possibility of chestnut template and your cljs version of being desynchronized?

Le lundi 4 mai 2015, Ivan L <ivan.l...@gmail.com> a écrit :
I get #<CompilerException java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No single method: _setup of interface: cljs.repl.IJavaScriptEnv found for function: -setup of protocol: IJavaScriptEnv, compiling:(cemerick/piggieback.clj:68:15)>

for loading clj from chestnut template and it drops me into debug view.  Can you share your setup steps casper?

Laurent Petit

Laurent PETIT

May 7, 2015, 4:24:58 PM5/7/15
to clojuredev-users, counterclockwise
the documentation page says that the figwheel nrepl launched repl has cider included, so things should work.

Note that not all of cider "ops" are leveraged yet. The current state is that has no less features than the current stable version of CCW, and just a couple different / improved things here and there.
More cider "ops" will be leveraged in the next version of counterclockwise, when the integration is stable.

Laurent Petit

casper

May 12, 2015, 4:58:55 AM5/12/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Just a note: I am getting a lot of crashed REPL's when I include cider-nrepl (0.9.0-SNAPSHOT) in my profiles.clj. I don't know where the problem lies though.

/Casper

Laurent PETIT

May 16, 2015, 5:39:29 AM5/16/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm, I also encountered some here and there. Will need to keep an eye on it.

Laurent PETIT

May 21, 2015, 12:02:09 PM5/21/15
to clojuredev-users, counterclockwise
Hi Casper,

Just a note: I am getting a lot of crashed REPL's when I include cider-nrepl (0.9.0-SNAPSHOT) in my profiles.clj. I don't know where the problem lies though.

Does the problem manifest like this in the Process Console?

Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 54295

nREPL server started on port 54316 on host 127.0.0.1 - nrepl://127.0.0.1:54316

Lost parent connection 54294

Subprocess failed

[...]

casper

May 22, 2015, 1:34:08 AM5/22/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, something like that, but I don't remember the exact error message. I'll give it a try again when I am at work, because it isn't crashing for me now on my mac at home.

/Casper

Laurent PETIT

May 22, 2015, 2:49:29 AM5/22/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Is it windows you are using at work? I guess cider, being written primarily for emacs users, may not get as much windows testing as Linux testing
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "counterclockwise" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/clojuredev-devel.

Laurent Petit

casper

May 23, 2015, 8:51:14 AM5/23/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the problem has been fixed in the cider-nrepl snapshot, so all is good. :)

And no, I am using OSX at work (and home).

Laurent Petit

Laurent PETIT

May 23, 2015, 11:53:11 AM5/23/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Ok great, thanks for the update !

Laurent Petit

Laurent Petit

casper

May 26, 2015, 3:09:56 AM5/26/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Seems like I was a bit hasty with this one - it still crashes like before.

I had the following output in my repl:

nREPL server started on port 52416 on host 127.0.0.1 - nrepl://127.0.0.1:52416
Lost parent connection 52414
Subprocess failed

It's on OSX with the standalone 0.31.2-SNAPSHOT version (which btw I haven't updated since downloading it initially, don't know if there are changes).

/Casper
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to clojuredev-devel+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Laurent Petit

Laurent Petit

casper

May 26, 2015, 3:14:12 AM5/26/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
And interestingly, the REPL still crashes if I run with the middleware and 0.31.1-STABLE001.

Laurent PETIT

May 26, 2015, 3:20:33 AM5/26/15
to counterclockwise, clojuredev-users
Meaning, it's probably more a problem with cider-nrepl itself, rather than CCW-cider integration?

Laurent Petit

Laurent Petit

Laurent Petit

adrians

Jun 25, 2015, 2:01:51 AM6/25/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Hi Laurent,

Is the cider-nrepl branch update site no longer available? It doesn't seem to work for me with Mars.

Thanks,
Adrian

Laurent Petit

Jun 25, 2015, 2:39:32 AM6/25/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I will check, don't remember by heart.
Anyway, we're close to a release, and this is why the branch has been merged to master and maybe the room taken by the transient branch has been reclaimed on the server.
My suggestion is to switch from branch cider-nrepl to branch master at this point.

HTH

Envoyé avec Mailbox

adrians

Jun 25, 2015, 5:59:39 PM6/25/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the advice, but that would mean I would need to build the plugin myself, no? There's no update site for master, is there?

Laurent PETIT

Jun 25, 2015, 10:16:18 PM6/25/15
to counterclockwise, clojuredev-users
Fear not, CCW has a Continuous deployment build chain: every time I push to github, a webhook reaches for CCW's Jenkins server, which builds what has been pushed. If all tests pass, it is then automatically deployed in the right directory on the update-site server, both as p2 repository and as standalone products for win/lin/os x. Including the corresponding and most up to date docs with correct links to the standalone products.

Update site for the master branch: http://updatesite.ccw-ide.org/branch/master/

The xml files inside the update site are up to date with the subdirectory corresponding to the tip of the branch (you're not forced to explicitly indicate a specific version inside the master branch, though you can, for instance if you want to test a specific branch commit without risking to be later proposed to upgrade to a potentially less stable branch commit).

FYI, the Jenkins server is at https://jenkins.ccw-ide.org/job/ccw-master/

HTH,

--
Laurent

--
Laurent Petit

casper

Jul 3, 2015, 4:27:34 PM7/3/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
I am just trying out the master branch and it looks to be working fine with the new version of nrepl-cider. I am playing around with Clojurescript again via Figwheel (i dropped the Chestnut template) and I am having some luck running the Clojurescript REPL from inside CCW. I run:

(use 'figwheel-sidecar.repl-api)

(start-figwheel! {:all-builds (figwheel-sidecar.repl/get-project-cljs-builds)})

(cljs-repl)

with [figwheel-sidecar "0.3.6"] in the dependencies.

Code completion works fine, but goto definition still isn't working. Any chance of getting this to work before the final release?

/Casper

Laurent Petit

Jul 25, 2015, 5:37:29 PM7/25/15
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
I'll do some new tests for go to definition. Since I haven't released a stable version before going on holidays, I might as well address this indeed.

Envoyé avec Mailbox

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "counterclockwise-users" group.