Announcing Clojure/core

Rich Hickey

May 25, 2010, 8:30:28 AM5/25/10
to Clojure
I'm happy to announce Clojure/core, a joint endeavor between myself
and Relevance, Inc. Clojure/core is a specialized technical practice
within Relevance, focused on Clojure. Featuring myself and Stuart
Halloway as advisors, the team also includes Clojure experts such as
David Liebke (Incanter), Stuart Sierra (clojure-contrib contributor)
and Aaron Bedra (an experienced consultant using Clojure).

The practice will be providing mentorship, training and development
services for those using, or planning to use, Clojure, and sustaining
Clojure itself.

Not interested in Clojure mentorship, training or dev assistance?
There's still plenty of good news for the Clojure community in this
announcement. One of the missions of Clojure/core is the
sustainability of Clojure. The team will spend 20% of its time on
Clojure itself. This includes working on enhancements and tickets,
incorporating patches, helping tend the mailing list etc. This will
enable our team to get a lot more done than I could ever do myself,
while enabling me to focus on the fundamental aspects of Clojure. It
will also broaden the pool of people with intimate knowledge of the
internals of Clojure.

The availability of services such as this is an important milestone
for Clojure, as people choosing to adopt Clojure can be assured they
can get mentorship, training and dev assistance, from experts.

I'm very excited about this effort. The folks at Relevance have never
failed to impress me with their skills and attitude, and they truly
get Clojure and care about its sustainability.

Note: clojure.com will now resolve to the Clojure/core site. Come
check it out!

http://clojure.com

Rich

Craig Andera

May 25, 2010, 8:48:22 AM5/25/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
> I'm happy to announce Clojure/core, a joint endeavor between myself
> and Relevance, Inc.

Congratulations to everyone involved! Very exciting!

Base

May 25, 2010, 9:11:12 AM5/25/10
to Clojure
woo hoo! Look forward to it.

On May 25, 7:48 am, Craig Andera <cand...@wangdera.com> wrote:
> > I'm happy to announce Clojure/core, a joint endeavor between myself
> > and Relevance, Inc.
>
> Congratulations to everyone involved! Very exciting!

Michael Gardner

May 25, 2010, 11:18:50 AM5/25/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On May 25, 2010, at 7:30 AM, Rich Hickey wrote:

> Note: clojure.com will now resolve to the Clojure/core site. Come
> check it out!

Does this mean Clojure itself is to be directly associated with Relevance, Inc.?

Rich Hickey

May 25, 2010, 11:32:25 AM5/25/10
to Clojure

On May 25, 11:18 am, Michael Gardner <gardne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 25, 2010, at 7:30 AM, Rich Hickey wrote:
>
> > Note: clojure.com will now resolve to the Clojure/core site. Come
> > check it out!
>
> Does this mean Clojure itself is to be directly associated with Relevance, Inc.?

Not at all. Clojure and I remain independent. This is a joint venture
that

A) involves me
B) benefits Clojure

Rich

DiG

May 25, 2010, 6:14:27 PM5/25/10
to Clojure
Congratulation!
This is an especially great news for full time clojure programmers.
It gives me an additional biz points when selling clojure to
customers.

Luke VanderHart

May 26, 2010, 4:18:20 PM5/26/10
to Clojure
Very cool.

The website doesn't say... how was/is the Clojure/core team selected?
Are they all Relevance employees, or freelance? Do you plan on ever
bringing more people on board? Although I'm not quite as qualified as
some of the others, that's something I'd potentially be very
interested in, particularly since the book Stuart and I wrote is now
out...

-Luke

Rich Hickey

May 27, 2010, 6:32:54 AM5/27/10
to Clojure
On May 26, 4:18 pm, Luke VanderHart <luke.vanderh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very cool.
>
> The website doesn't say... how was/is the Clojure/core team selected?

Everyone was selected by me and Stu, and vetted by Relevance's normal
interview process. Some of the criteria:

(1) A history of demonstrated ability in Clojure and commitment to the
Clojure community. This can of course take many forms: open source
code (clojure itself or libs), writing about Clojure, speaking.

(2) Aptitude for, and interest in, working in a service setting. It's
not everyone's cup of tea; there are some very good developers who are
not interested in doing client work.

> Are they all Relevance employees, or freelance?

Other than myself, the Clojure/core team currently are folks working
at Relevance

> Do you plan on ever
> bringing more people on board?

Yes, as needed.

> Although I'm not quite as qualified as
> some of the others, that's something I'd potentially be very
> interested in, particularly since the book Stuart and I wrote is now
> out...

Relevance has a Hacker-in-Residence program so that people can try the
life for 6-12 weeks and see how they like it. Ping Stu off list if/
when you are interested.

Congrats on the book!

Rich