Clojure has been selected to participate in GSoC 2017!

Daniel Solano Gómez

Mar 6, 2017, 4:35:41 AM3/6/17
to Clojure
We are pleased to announce that Google has selected Clojure as a mentoring organisation for this year’s summer of code! This means that Google will sponsor students from around the world to work on projects that are part of the Clojure ecosystem. Now that we know that Clojure will be participating, what happens next?

Getting involved

The student application period will be open from the 20th of March through the 3rd of April. In the meantime, there are a number of ways to get involved:

Mentors

If you maintain an open source Clojure(Script) project and would like to grow it, you should consider becoming a mentor. You can find out more about what being a mentor is about out on the mentors page.

Students

While it is still to early to formally apply as GSoC student, this is a great time to start thinking about project ideas and reach out to potential mentors. Check out the students page for more information on how to apply successfully.

Everyone else

Even if you can’t participate as student or don’t want to be a mentor, you can still help by letting people know about GSoC at your local Clojure meetup, university, or other local group.

Thanks

We would also like to extend a big thank you to all of the people who contributed to our project ideas.  Without their help, it is likely our application would not have been a success.

Daniel Slutsky

Nov 30, 2019, 2:37:14 PM11/30/19
to Clojure
Hi all,
has there been thoughts about clojure activity in GSoC since 2017?

Alex Miller

Nov 30, 2019, 11:36:33 PM11/30/19
to Clojure
We applied and were not accepted for a couple years. Having done some of the admin/org stuff in the past, I don't really want to do it again, but an organization like Clojurists Together would be great for that part (although I'm not looking to add any work to anyone else either). It's not really that hard, just a little tedious to deal with the money parts.

Daniel Slutsky

Dec 1, 2019, 6:12:20 PM12/1/19
to Clojure
Thanks so much, that helps to know.

Ag Ibragimov

Dec 3, 2019, 6:23:43 AM12/3/19
to clo...@googlegroups.com

Would you do it Daniel, would you apply? I apologize for if that sounds like I'm brazenly pushing you. If I had capacity to do that, I would volunteer, alas I'm afraid I don't even know how that works.
It would be awesome if Clojure once again accepted in GSoC. How can we (ordinary Clojuristas) help to get there?

On Sun 01 Dec 2019 at 15:12, Daniel Slutsky <daniel....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks so much, that helps to know.
>
> On Sunday, 1 December 2019 06:36:33 UTC+2, Alex Miller wrote:
>>
>> We applied and were not accepted for a couple years. Having done some of
>> the admin/org stuff in the past, I don't really want to do it again, but an
>> organization like Clojurists Together would be great for that part
>> (although I'm not looking to add any work to anyone else either). It's not
>> really that hard, just a little tedious to deal with the money parts.
>>
>> On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 1:37:14 PM UTC-6, Daniel Slutsky wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> has there been thoughts about clojure activity in GSoC since 2017?

Alex Miller

Dec 3, 2019, 10:20:47 AM12/3/19
to Clojure
Any "group" or organization can submit a project to GSoC as long as there are 2+ committers and there are existing releases under an OSI license (which includes EPL). The organization select projects, connects mentors to students, prods people about evaluations, and receives $500/completed student. Students submit proposals (usually these should happen under consultation with the project) and are directly paid stipends by Google for completed projects. I think the organization application is usually open in January.

I think there are several groups in the Clojure ecosystem that would potentially be great orgs for this - CIDER, ClojureBridge, clj-commons, etc.

Daniel Slutsky

Dec 3, 2019, 3:06:13 PM12/3/19
to Clojure
Ag, Alex, many thanks.

These days some of us are trying to think where we should put our efforts in the next few months. This might be one of the things we have to consider. We'll update if we do.

On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 5:23:43 AM UTC-6, Ag Ibragimov wrote:

Would you do it Daniel, would you apply? I apologize for if that sounds like I'm brazenly pushing you. If I had capacity to do that, I would volunteer, alas I'm afraid I don't even know how that works.
It would be awesome if Clojure once again accepted in GSoC. How can we (ordinary Clojuristas) help to get there?

Alex Miller

Dec 3, 2019, 3:33:51 PM12/3/19
to Clojure
GSoC is an amazing opportunity if you get the right combination of an appropriately sized project, a motivated student, and a mentor that has both sufficient availability and expertise in guiding (like Ambrose's Typed Clojure work). If any of those aren't right, the project tends to fizzle out or go unused so a lot of the time and effort does not result in an effectual end result.

To some degree, Clojurists Together is doing the same kind of work but prioritizing projects that people care about and developers that are already "in" the project rather than students starting fresh (and paying more for the work). I think CT has created way more total value for the community than GSoC ever did.

But again, depends on goals. If your goal is to connect students more closely to Clojure, then GSoC is great for that.

Daniel Compton

Dec 4, 2019, 11:35:45 AM12/4/19
to Clojure List
Hi folks, I'm the secretary of Clojurists Together.

Thanks very much for the background on GSoC and the kind words Alex :)

Clojurists Together would be happy to help provide the backing admin infrastructure (bank accounts, international payments, etc.) and oversight to help run GSoC. However, I don't think anyone on the committee has the bandwidth to be the primary person to lead the GSoC project; we'd need someone from the community to volunteer to be that person.

If someone else wants to run this as part of a different organisation that's also totally fine with us, don't consider this us calling "dibs".

Thanks, Daniel.

---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clojure/e911ebba-b48a-4c47-859c-9e455fbb0243%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Miller

Dec 4, 2019, 11:49:00 AM12/4/19
to clo...@googlegroups.com
As far as I'm aware the work involved here is:

- submitting the organization application (in Jan)
- soliciting and writing up project ideas (in Jan/Feb)
- soliciting potential mentors for each project (often there is a natural match between idea and mentor) - spring
- pairing up selected students/projects and mentors - spring
- getting mentors to write evals for their students - summer
- accepting funds - fall
- if desired, distributing those funds in some way (when I helped Cognitect run it, we redistributed the funds to pay for students to travel to Clojure conferences) - fall

Great opportunity for someone to contribute!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Clojure" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clojure/CAK2UX_h9ThYotHvVJ974Spn9hRW1RwB0TfLnGr1iSpxwwVXSqw%40mail.gmail.com.

Noor Afshan Fathima

Dec 4, 2019, 4:51:13 PM12/4/19
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
GSOC would be great. Can someone also look into getting Clojure to participate in Outreachy?

--
cheers!
Noor Afshan Fathima

Alex Miller

Dec 4, 2019, 5:05:12 PM12/4/19
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Outreachy seems like a great program but like most things, it requires significant time and money (https://www.outreachy.org/mentor/).

They need an organization coordinator who can apply, find funds ($6500/intern), find mentors, help develop and assess projects. They also need mentors who are expected to spend 5-10 hrs/week for 6 weeks during the project.

I'm not aware of anyone with the time or money to commit to an effort like this for Clojure.

Daniel Slutsky

Jan 11, 2020, 6:49:13 PM1/11/20
to Clojure

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 10:18 PM, Alex Miller <al...@puredanger.com> wrote:
As far as I'm aware the work involved here is:

- submitting the organization application (in Jan)
- soliciting and writing up project ideas (in Jan/Feb)
- soliciting potential mentors for each project (often there is a natural match between idea and mentor) - spring
- pairing up selected students/projects and mentors - spring
- getting mentors to write evals for their students - summer
- accepting funds - fall
- if desired, distributing those funds in some way (when I helped Cognitect run it, we redistributed the funds to pay for students to travel to Clojure conferences) - fall

Great opportunity for someone to contribute!

For more options, visit this group at
---

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Clojure" group.

---
cheers!
Noor Afshan Fathima

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Clojure" group.

Daniel Slutsky

Jan 12, 2020, 2:03:05 AM1/12/20
to Clojure
To summarize the GSoC 2020 discussion so far:
- Several individuals seem to be interested.
- Alex Miller described some past experience and lessons.
- .. and explained what is required to make it happen.
- Daniel Compton and Clojurists Together offered their administrative help.
- We need a small group or person to take the commitment of making it happen.
- Some of us (like me) are thinking about it, not sure yet, and will decide in few weeks.

Daniel Slutsky

Feb 3, 2020, 6:53:31 PM2/3/20
to Clojure
Hi.

Wanted to update that I decided not to be involved in GSoC 2020.

Another option, similar and different, that some of us are discussing elsewhere is Rails Girls SoC 2020.
I like the idea that it actively seeks diversity, and that it is possible to submit a concrete open source project as a suggestion.

Alex Miller

Feb 4, 2020, 11:17:02 AM2/4/20
to Clojure
Having this discussion under the topic GSOC 2017 is increasingly confusing (given that it's now not GSOC or 2017), so I'd suggest starting a new thread if there is more to talk about...