[ANN] 1.10.0-beta6

Alex Miller

Nov 16, 2018, 3:04:00 PM11/16/18
to Clojure
1.10.0-beta6 is now available.

You can try it with clj using:

clj -Sdeps '{:deps {org.clojure/clojure {:mvn/version "1.10.0-beta6"}}}'

Changes in 1.10.0-beta6:
  • The metadata protocol extension added in 1.10.0-beta5 now requires opt-in when the protocol is defined, using :extend-via-metadata.
  • The JavaReflector under clojure.reflect has been datafied
  • CLJ-2432 - Added clojure.core/requiring-resolve which is like `resolve` but will `require` the symbol's namespace if needed.
  • CLJ-2427 - fix bug in CompilerException.toString() that could cause a secondary exception to be thrown while making the exception string, obscuring the original exception.
  • CLJ-2430 - more work on error phases, ex-triage, and allowing prepl to better use the new error reporting infrastructure
You can read the full 1.10 changelog here: https://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/master/changes.md

Sean Corfield

Nov 16, 2018, 3:17:24 PM11/16/18
to Clojure
CLJ-2432 - Added clojure.core/requiring-resolve which is like `resolve` but will `require` the symbol's namespace if needed.

This is not listed in the change log, just FYI.

Alex Miller

Nov 16, 2018, 3:21:06 PM11/16/18
to Clojure

On Friday, November 16, 2018 at 2:17:24 PM UTC-6, Sean Corfield wrote:
CLJ-2432 - Added clojure.core/requiring-resolve which is like `resolve` but will `require` the symbol's namespace if needed.

This is not listed in the change log, just FYI.

I'm aware - I wrote the change log diff before we added it. Will be in next.

Alexander Yakushev

Nov 16, 2018, 3:25:30 PM11/16/18
to Clojure
Could you please give a brief rationale for why metadata-polymorphism is now opt-in? I'm wondering what kind of the undesired behavior this is meant to prevent.

Alex Miller

Nov 16, 2018, 4:26:33 PM11/16/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com

> On Nov 16, 2018, at 2:25 PM, Alexander Yakushev <unl...@bytopia.org> wrote:
>
> Could you please give a brief rationale for why metadata-polymorphism is now opt-in? I'm wondering what kind of the undesired behavior this is meant to prevent.

Doing the metadata check affects the performance of invocations of external protocol extensions (does not affect perf of direct definitions).

As one of the goals of protocols is to be fast, we decided to make this an explicit opt-in choice (for now at least). In cases where metadata protocol extension is useful, the protocol creator can choose to add that at the cost of a small perf hit.

Significant time was spent analyzing the performance issues and looking at other options, but in the end this seemed like the best compromise for now.

Sean Corfield

Nov 16, 2018, 8:11:46 PM11/16/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com

All our tests pass at World Singles Networks with Beta 6 – and we’re already started using `symbol` on keywords and the new `requiring-resolve` (thank you for that!).

Sean Corfield -- (970) FOR-SEAN -- (904) 302-SEAN

-- Margaret Atwood