[ANN] Debian-based official Clojure Docker images

Wes Morgan

Oct 3, 2022, 12:48:09 PMOct 3
to Clojure
There are now (once again) Debian-based official clojure Docker images published on Docker Hub (here: https://hub.docker.com/_/clojure).

As many of you may remember, we recently had to move all of our images from their old openjdk base to eclipse-temurin base images because the openjdk images were no longer being supported nor updated upstream. This brought with it a transition to Ubuntu-based images from the Debian-based ones we had been using (plus some Alpine-based options here and there; which will still be available as long as upstream keeps publishing them).

The Ubuntu images are mostly fine and compatible with Debian commands, package names, etc. except for one increasingly problematic issue: Ubuntu has been replacing more and more deb packages with snaps that you can't easily install in a Docker container.

Therefore following the eclipse-temurin documentation's advice for how to build images based on other distros, we have published images that derive from the official debian images but copy the Temurin JDK bits over from the official eclipse-temurin images.

You can use these Debian-based images by replacing -jammy or -focal with -bullseye or -bullseye-slim in your Docker tags. I'm leaving -jammy as the default for now to minimize breakage, but I don't recommend staying on the Ubuntu images.

If you never transitioned from the old openjdk images to the new temurin ones, that job is now even easier because the Debian-based images will be even more similar to the ones you're using. Do note that following Debian's naming convention upstream, we are using bullseye-slim instead of slim-bullseye as we used to before the openjdk -> temurin transition.

The Ubuntu-based images will continue to be published for the foreseeable future (unless the eclipse-temurin folks reach a similar conclusion about the better distro to use in their images).

Let me know if you have any questions or run into any issues using the new images.