clojure.spec & protocol fn

Claudius Nicolae

Jun 5, 2016, 12:57:10 PM6/5/16
to Clojure
It seems that protocol fns don't participate in s/fdef specfications. It would be nice they were. Sample:

    (ns sample
      (:require [clojure.spec :as s]))

    (s/instrument-all)

    ;; Spec a fn

    (s/fdef f
      :args (s/cat :i integer?)
      :ret integer?)

    (defn f [i] i)

    (f "1") ; will fail

    ;; Spec a fn of a protocol

    (defprotocol P
      (g [p i]))

    (s/fdef g
      :args (s/cat :p (partial satisfies? P)
                   :i integer?)
      :ret integer?)

    (defrecord R []
      (g [_ i] i))

    (g (->R) "2") ; will pass

Kevin Downey

Jun 5, 2016, 2:23:10 PM6/5/16
to clo...@googlegroups.com
http://dev.clojure.org/jira/browse/CLJ-1941 has some discussion about
places where instrumenting won't work.
> --
> ---
> Groups "Clojure" group.
> an email to clojure+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:clojure+u...@googlegroups.com>.

And what is good, Phaedrus,
And what is not good—
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Vjeran Marcinko

Jun 6, 2016, 3:53:55 PM6/6/16
to Clojure
On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 8:23:10 PM UTC+2, red...@gmail.com wrote:
http://dev.clojure.org/jira/browse/CLJ-1941 has some discussion about
places where instrumenting won't work.

Does this mean that this is a bug or something crucial related to protocol design is preventing this ever being implemented?

-Vjeran

Brandon Bloom

Jun 6, 2016, 10:23:04 PM6/6/16
to Clojure
Just guessing from past experience in the Clojure internals:

Instrumenting protocol methods it likely possible, but unlikely to be worth the effort.

There are already a bunch of places where protocol functions are different. The accepted convention is to always wrap a protocol method with a normal function to recover the benefits. The pattern usually looks like:

(defprotocol P
  (-foo [x y z]))

(defn foo [x y z]
  (-foo x y z))

Put your spec on foo, not -foo.

This tends to be good practice anyway because you have a place to wrap global behavior around -foo.