Book project : compilation of Rich Hickey conferences transcripts translated in french

Paul schuhmacher

May 24, 2022, 7:21:02 AM5/24/22
to Clojure
Hi,

I am a French web developer, soon a teacher, IT books and standards enthusiast.

I've listened many times to many of Rich Hickey conferences. It took me time and mental efforts to understand those ideas and concepts, but now I can say that I consider Rich Hickey to be on of the most precious (public at least) thinker and artisan in the IT. So for that, I want first to thank him to have shape my mind to fascinating new horizons.

I want to make the ideas and concepts discussed in those conferences accessible for a French-speaking audience. I think many people (besides programmers) interested from near or far to information systems would benefit from this content. I'm rather surprised to realize that even if understanding/reading English language is a "must have" for any developer around the world, still many French-speaking developers and IT people are not able to "read" (in the general sense) with ease many English textbooks or conferences. I would like to contribute to feel that gap by translating and publishing some content found in those conferences for this audience, because this work is highly valuable, and I think need to be better known by many IT people.

I've already made a French subtitle version of the conference "The Value of Values" (Jax Conference, 2012) available on YouTube (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJi1vOwu2SM). I've been doing caption for many years now. Mainly I have caption 5 of 7 of the Feynman Lectures on Physics conference (1964) (I'm an ex physicist and big fan of Richard Feynman...) (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSeSqqUV7_4&list=PLS3XEhTy6-AkS1j8JrHoJnkSrY31Bfddl). And I saw that many people were hungry for this wonderful and rich content (as your work) they cannot access otherwise.

I would like, in the near future, to work on a compilation of transcripts of some of Rich Hickey conferences (based on some themes), translated in French. The idea I have in mind is to try to publish a small book in French in the same idea as the book "La nature de la physique", a French transcript compilation of the Feynman Lectures on Physics.

I wanted to know if Rich Hickey (or any other people involved) would be interested to see this project happening or not, and if there are any legal questions, constrains etc...

Thank you for reading this way too long message,

I wish you a very pleasant day,

Best regards,

Paul Schuhmacher

Alex Miller

May 24, 2022, 11:13:44 AM5/24/22
to Clojure
Hi Paul, contact me at alex....@cognitect.com.

I will say that if anyone wants to do translations / transcriptions in other languages for anything on ClojureTV, I am more than happy to add those to the video.

Alex