[ANN] Clojure 1.10.0-beta2

Alex Miller

Oct 9, 2018, 5:13:32 PM10/9/18
to Clojure
1.10.0-beta2 is now available. You can try it with clj using:

      clj -Sdeps '{:deps {org.clojure/clojure {:mvn/version "1.10.0-beta2"}}}'

1.10.0-beta2 includes the following changes since 1.10.0-beta1:

  • CLJ-2414 Regression in reflectively finding default methods
  • CLJ-2415 Error cause should always be on 2nd line of error message
  • Added clojure.datafy:
clojure.datafy is a facility for object to data transformation. The `datafy` and `nav` functions can be used to transform and (lazily) navigate through object graphs. The data transformation process can be influenced by consumers using protocols or metadata.

datafy is alpha and subject to change.

You can read the full 1.10 changelog here: https://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/master/changes.md

Herwig Hochleitner

Oct 10, 2018, 4:19:56 AM10/10/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com

What's datafy and why is it first appearing in a "feature complete" -beta2 release?

Bozhidar Batsov

Oct 10, 2018, 9:30:48 AM10/10/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com
My thoughts exactly. :-) Some more information about the new library and the odd timing of its introduction would be appreciated.

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 11:19, Herwig Hochleitner <hhochl...@gmail.com> wrote:

What's datafy and why is it first appearing in a "feature complete" -beta2 release?

---

Alex Miller

Oct 10, 2018, 9:57:15 AM10/10/18
to Clojure
It's like finding that extra birthday present that got lost under the couch. Sorry we added more stuff?

(copying this from stuff I wrote elsewhere)... Lots of people have built things like datafy already in an ad hoc or specialized way, but without the benefit of a common shared protocol to do so. If you look inside prn, you'll see basically this same kind of thing and prn is an example of something that could be rewritten to leverage this facility.

As always, we want to work with data. But there are a lot of complexities in dealing with a mixture of Java objects and data, or objects that need to be lazily traversed, or data that's coming from external sources, or data with cycles in the graphs, etc. datafy has enough hooks via metadata and protocols to handle all of those complexities.

If you don't how you would use this, you may not have this kind of a problem. There are certainly many people writing this kind of thing already.

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 8:30:48 AM UTC-5, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:
My thoughts exactly. :-) Some more information about the new library and the odd timing of its introduction would be appreciated.
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 11:19, Herwig Hochleitner <hhochl...@gmail.com> wrote:

What's datafy and why is it first appearing in a "feature complete" -beta2 release?

---

Bozhidar Batsov

Oct 10, 2018, 11:43:39 AM10/10/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 16:57, Alex Miller <al...@puredanger.com> wrote:
It's like finding that extra birthday present that got lost under the couch. Sorry we added more stuff?

I love unexpected gifts! I’m just worried that unexpected problems with the unexpected gifts might delay the delivery of the expected ones... 😉 It’s always a bit scary to introduce bigger changes close to release time.