In what OS do you code?

Erlis Vidal

Jun 14, 2013, 9:46:37 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm a bit curious to know in what OS do you code. Do you prefer iOS, Linux, Windows? Why is that? Because the tools? The environment?

Thanks!

Joseph Smith

Jun 14, 2013, 9:49:28 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com, clo...@googlegroups.com
I write code in OSX.

---
Joseph Smith
@solussd
---

Denis Labaye

Jun 14, 2013, 9:52:19 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Linux everywhere:
- Natively @ work
- Natively @ home
- In a VirtualBox VM in a MacBook air in the tube

Reasons:
- Free and Open source
- "Standard" (Learn once use everywhere)
- Rock solid

Gary Trakhman

Jun 14, 2013, 9:52:26 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Linux.  I started making the investment 12 years ago with RedHat 6.2 and Slackware, so the extra fuss-time tradeoff is worth it for me, since I can minimize it by now.

I can have a working clojure system from scratch in 20 minutes, which I've demonstrated here: http://gtrak.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/clojure-environment-state-of-the-union-install-speedrun-screencast/

OSX is a huge step backwards from what I know how to do there, and Windows is a necessary evil that I try to minimize.

Denis Labaye

Jun 14, 2013, 9:54:48 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Gary Trakhman <gary.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
Linux.  I started making the investment 12 years ago with RedHat 6.2 and Slackware, so the extra fuss-time tradeoff is worth it for me, since I can minimize it by now.

I can have a working clojure system from scratch in 20 minutes, which I've demonstrated here: http://gtrak.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/clojure-environment-state-of-the-union-install-speedrun-screencast/

"20mn from scratch"
You mean installing the OS too ?
Because with an already installed Linux (with a good internet connexion) you could do it in less than 5 minutes

Erlis Vidal

Jun 14, 2013, 9:54:28 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Gary, thanks for the link!

Gary Trakhman

Jun 14, 2013, 9:56:58 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I installed the OS, too, that includes emacs, auto-complete, ac-nrepl (I had some problem and had to look stuff up, I can do it faster now).

Steven Degutis

Jun 14, 2013, 10:35:43 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
OS X on an MBP.

The only thing I liked about linux was xmonad. So I wrote a window manager for OS X called AppGrid (download the zip) that does everything I want a window manager to do on OS X. And then I made it customizable via CoffeeScript, and renamed it to Zephyros. Now I use it with this CS config to do exactly what AppGrid does (with some fun additions).

Laurent PETIT

Jun 14, 2013, 10:45:17 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Linux at work, OS X at home.

But this makes no big difference, since my toolchain is java end to
end: Eclipse, Maven.

Clinton Dreisbach

Jun 14, 2013, 10:56:12 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I'm the opposite of Laurent (OS X at work and Linux at home) but I agree with him. My toolchain is Java, Clojure, and Emacs, so I notice very little difference between the two. My biggest pain point is differences in shell scripts, mainly because OS X ships with BSD sed instead of GNU sed, which is quite different.

-- Clinton

Giacomo Cosenza

Jun 14, 2013, 10:59:00 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
personally, I code on mac os x. in my company anyone is free to choose the preferred OS (most of our devs are using linux, few of them windows).
mimmo

Mayank Jain

Jun 14, 2013, 11:06:26 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Linux/Mac both at work and home.
--
Regards,
Mayank.

Yves S. Garret

Jun 14, 2013, 11:25:21 AM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Well, you can't really code in iOS last time I checked.  But most of
the time it's Linux.  Preferably natively.

Why?  Because the tools that I need (VI, Erlang, grep, etc.) are all
there and I don't have to sit there and think about how to tie them
together (not even Cygwin gets rid of this problem.)

Mikhail Kryshen

Jun 14, 2013, 1:57:17 PM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I use GNU/Linux (specifically, Fedora at home and openSUSE, which I don't
like much compared to other distros, at work):
- I do not trust proprietary software vendors,
- I avoid supporting Microsoft and Apple out of ethical issues,
- I prefer the software distribution model where software comes from a
few trusted sources — repositories with packages verified, compiled and
signed by the distribution's maintainers.
> --
> --
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Clojure" group.

Mikhail

Jim - FooBar();

Jun 14, 2013, 2:06:59 PM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I use GNU/Linux exclusively as well...no other OS makes me feel in
control :)

Jim

Erlis Vidal

Jun 14, 2013, 2:11:09 PM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys!

Thanks for all the responses, it looks like Linux is the predominant OS in the Clojure community.

Erlis Vidal <er...@erlisvidal.com> writes:

Hi,

I'm a bit curious to know in what OS do you code. Do you prefer iOS, Linux,
Windows? Why is that? Because the tools? The environment?

Thanks!

---

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Clojure" group.

Raoul Duke

Jun 14, 2013, 2:15:19 PM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
> Thanks for all the responses, it looks like Linux is the predominant OS in
> the Clojure community.

er, wow. that's a bit of a leap, isn't it?

Marcus Lindner

Jun 14, 2013, 2:16:28 PM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I for example use Windows 8 and Windows 7.

Nico Balestra

Jun 14, 2013, 2:16:49 PM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com

What company do you work for Mimmo? Can I send my CV? :)

Russell Whitaker

Jun 14, 2013, 2:18:12 PM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Erlis, that's a bit of a leap, you can't make that conclusion from
your sampling.
Among other faults, your dataset suffers greatly from selection bias. Several
_layers_ of selection bias, in fact.

My own setup, while I'm here:
- OS X on the desk/laptop;
- Unbuntu as the deployment target.

Russell

>> --
>> --
>> Groups "Clojure" group.
>> email to clojure+u...@googlegroups.com.
>>

> --
> --
> ---
> "Clojure" group.
> email to clojure+u...@googlegroups.com.

Russell Whitaker
http://twitter.com/OrthoNormalRuss / http://orthonormalruss.blogspot.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/russell-whitaker/0/b86/329

Clinton Dreisbach

Jun 14, 2013, 2:18:51 PM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I think that's more like "Linux is the predominant OS among people who love to talk about their OS." In my experience, there's a lot more Mac users than any other group.

For more options, visit this group at
---

Jim - FooBar();

Yves S. Garret

Jun 14, 2013, 4:31:53 PM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Truthfully, they're not shy when it comes to things such as DRM, closing off
previous more open standards/software and just don't really give back to the
OSS community as much as they take.

I own a Mac mini and I'm so-so satisfied with it.  In Ubuntu, I love it in
comparison.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Jim - FooBar(); <jimpi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Colin Fleming

Jun 14, 2013, 6:32:29 PM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I use OSX for everything, and have for a long time. I could see myself switching to Linux for work (although collaboration tools e.g. Skype etc are still more difficult than on OSX, maybe hangouts helps here) but at home it's a non-starter since I use my machine for watching movies etc, and that's all more difficult or impossible on Linux. But for development I agree with the above, there's very little difference.

Mikhail Kryshen

Jun 14, 2013, 6:48:17 PM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
"Yves S. Garret" <yoursurr...@gmail.com> writes:

> Truthfully, they're not shy when it comes to things such as DRM, closing off
> previous more open standards/software and just don't really give back to the
> OSS community as much as they take.

I think it would be naive to expect ethical behaviour from any large
corporation. Even though very nice people may work there, a large
corporation as a whole is a heartless machine that do whatever it can to
make more money. And what makes money depends on what consumers are
willing to accept. So, in the end, it's the consumer's responsibility
not to support evil.

--
Mikhail

Yves S. Garret

Jun 14, 2013, 9:33:24 PM6/14/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Mikhail, you do have a point there.

Max Gonzih

Jun 15, 2013, 3:05:20 AM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com, er...@erlisvidal.com
Linux. OpenSource, package management, tools, tailing window managers, if you know linux you can apply your knowledge everywhere (development, production, embed), OpenSource system is solid system, you can change everything in open OS if you need to and not afraid of being proper hacker.

Christian Sperandio

Jun 15, 2013, 3:47:06 AM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I use os x for my dev. I regularly switch between os x and linux for many years now. When my computer is too old to get a newer os x version, I switch to linux to have more usability years (I keep my computer 7-8 years).
I avoid Windows the more I can because I don't like this os and I'm a fan of Unix world (pipe architecture, all is file, powerful shell).
But I must say any os is good while I have: Java, emacs and a terminal window :P

Mimmo Cosenza

Jun 15, 2013, 4:20:04 AM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 14, 2013, at 8:16 PM, Nico Balestra <nicoba...@gmail.com> wrote:

What company do you work for Mimmo? Can I send my CV? :)

yes you can. send it to me. I'm the boss ;-)

Josh Kamau

Jun 15, 2013, 5:29:04 AM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I love linux.... so one of my home laptop has linux. I mainly use it for experiments and on it i use emacs.... Then there is this expensive macbookpro that i bought. Its my first  actually. I use it for all my "commercial work". I use intellij for development on it.  If i could rewind time, i wouldnt buy a mac. I would stick to linux.

josh

Max Penet

Jun 15, 2013, 6:04:22 AM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com, er...@erlisvidal.com
What OS? Emacs of course.

More seriously debian (with a lightweight xmonad config), at work and at home.

I tried OSX a couple of years back (for about a year), and there were just too many annoyances, weird keyboard shortcuts, broken package managers, proprietary stuff everywhere, payware (and very often worthless) upgrades and I could go on like this for ages... It feels a bit like the real thing but just isn't it, so I gave up and went back to linux.

Christian Sperandio

Jun 15, 2013, 6:09:20 AM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
It's true before the os x emacs version was  tedious.
But now, I use os x mountain lion with the last emacs version for os x and those issues are no more. I've the same keyboard shortcuts as my previous ubuntu installation :)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Clojure" group.

Mikera

Jun 15, 2013, 6:16:36 AM6/15/13
On Friday, 14 June 2013 14:46:37 UTC+1, Erlis Vidal wrote:
Hi,

I'm a bit curious to know in what OS do you code. Do you prefer iOS, Linux, Windows? Why is that? Because the tools? The environment?

Thanks!

I prefer Linux for the server side. Lean, fast, great tools, open source.

Windows is my general coding environment. Mainly because I still run various Windows-only apps, I'm comfortable with the GUI, I like things to "just work" on my hardware and I prefer to avoid futzing around with settings / drivers. I'd love to switch to Linux, but the hassle-factor has prevented me from adopting Linux in the past.

The good news is that my toolchain for Clojure coding is Eclipse+Counterclockwise+Maven, which is totally cross-platform so it doesn't really matter what OS I use. So maybe I will try switching to Linux again sometime soon.

Heinz Nikolaus Gies

Jun 15, 2013, 6:48:35 AM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I personally use OS X, got used to it and it leaves me alone for most of the time to do what I want. Linux is too much hassle for me. But I guess that is a thing of taste and habit and experience with one system or the other, people using Linux will tell say the same thing just the other way round. Bottom line I guess a UNIX system is a advantage, which one is a matter of taste and what you are more used to. There is very little OS X can't do that Linux can do or that Linux can't do what OS X can do.

For the serves I personally like SmartOS (Solaris ;).

Cheers,
Heinz

Softaddicts

Jun 15, 2013, 9:24:07 AM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Ubuntu everywhere aside from my iPad :)

Stable and easily customizable. This is the major difference with OS X which bit
me severely in the past.

I used to run an Apple Xserve to support the business (emails, ...) for 7/8 years
but when it came to customization it was a mess. Any upgrade would screw up
customization.

We replaced it by an Ubuntu server when it died and never looked back again.

Laptop wise, my typical configuration is a "standard" laptop (i7, 8gb RAM)
with an SSD.
I trashed the dvd/cd rom reader to use a standard disk for non critical i/o and
local backups of stuff on the SSD while on the road.

I cannot see when I'll need a hardware upgrade, I run several services, databases on
it and can't see resource starvation yet.

It costs three times less than an equivalent MacBook but my main objective is to remain
in control of our dev. environment and keep it as close as possible to what is used
in production.

We deploy in production on clusters of small foot print ubuntu SSD based servers.

However I rely extensively on my iPad for all the communication stuff,
document handling and remote support.

I use dropbox to exchange documents between my laptop and my iPad.
I can do half of my work with it without carrying an extra twelve pounds of gears.
You would not convince me to replace it by an Android tablet.

Luc P.
> --
> --
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Clojure" group.

Softaddicts<lprefo...@softaddicts.ca> sent by ibisMail from my ipad!

Plínio Balduino

Jun 15, 2013, 11:37:26 AM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I code on Windows, due the company standards, on OSX at my machine and
Android with Clojure REPL. I really miss a machine with Linux.

Plínio

Rob Browning

Jun 15, 2013, 11:41:07 AM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Josh Kamau <joshn...@gmail.com> writes:

> If i could rewind time, i wouldnt buy a mac. I would stick to linux.

For whatever it's worth, Debian and presumably others run just fine on
some Macbooks.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org

Korny Sietsma

Jun 15, 2013, 9:40:13 PM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com

How are all the Linux users handling Java installation? Using an official Oracle installer, or your package manager somehow, or something else? Or using (gasp) openJDK?

I use Windows (client mandated) at work and OSX on my laptop. We use Vagrant to run virtual Linux (Centos) boxen at work, with puppet managed configuration, and Java installation is always rather ugly and painful.

John Gabriele

Jun 15, 2013, 9:59:47 PM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:40:13 PM UTC-4, Korny wrote:

How are all the Linux users handling Java installation? Using an official Oracle installer, or your package manager somehow, or something else? Or using (gasp) openJDK?

sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk

Softaddicts

Jun 15, 2013, 11:03:33 PM6/15/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Some folks maintain packages for the oracle JVM on the side, I do not have the repo
by heart but you can search on google a combination like ubuntu+oracle+jvm and you
should find the recipe.

Luc P.
> --
> --
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Clojure" group.

Eric MacAdie

Jun 16, 2013, 9:55:10 AM6/16/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
OT: Is there a way to download OpenJDK directly?

It looks like the download page only has directions on using package managers. Perhaps I missed a link somewhere.

- Eric MacAdie

Gregory Graham

Jun 16, 2013, 4:41:50 PM6/16/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I use Windows 8 at work, with Emacs and Windows Power Shell and bash when needed. It was easy to set up. I've been a long time Unix/Linux lover, but I've come to terms with the need to use Windows at work, and versions 7 and 8 are not bad. At home I have an old MacBook with OS X, and although it is ok, I will likely replace it with a Windows PC. Although I like Linux, I don't really need it now, but that could change.

Robert Levy

Jun 16, 2013, 7:03:49 PM6/16/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
There's the "State of Clojure Survey": http://cemerick.com/2012/08/06/results-of-the-2012-state-of-clojure-survey/. I think Chas usually asks for ideas on what the questions should be, so that might be a good question to suggest next time around.

The Leiningen survey asks that question and finds 79% Linux vs only 62% Mac https://lein-survey-2013.herokuapp.com/results  The Leiningen results likely mirror Clojure OS preference more generally, since the vast majority of Clojure users use Leiningen.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Raoul Duke <rao...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the responses, it looks like Linux is the predominant OS in
> the Clojure community.

er, wow. that's a bit of a leap, isn't it?

Chris Ford

Jun 17, 2013, 4:33:36 AM6/17/13
to Clojure
Robert, the Leiningen survey might under-report Windows-based usage of Clojure, as I think Eclipse+Counter-clockwise is especially popular there.

Robert Levy

Jun 17, 2013, 5:20:03 AM6/17/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
from the Counterclockwise docs: "the preferred way to create a new project is via the New > Leiningen Project Wizard"

Alexandru Nedelcu

Jun 17, 2013, 7:51:21 AM6/17/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 4:40 AM, Korny Sietsma <ko...@sietsma.com> wrote:
How are all the Linux users handling Java installation? Using an official Oracle installer, or your package manager somehow, or something else? Or using (gasp) openJDK?

I'm on Ubuntu and I use OpenJDK 7 which is the default JDK. I don't know why you "gasp" at OpenJDK, but it works great and I never had any problems with it. Plus, I trust the OpenJDK package to get more security updates than Oracle's official JDK. Seriously.

I do have the official Oracle JDK 7 installed (for testing), plus early builds of JDK 8 (for playing around with it). Ubuntu makes that easy due to "update-java-alternatives", so having multiple versions installed is really not an issue.

If you're on Ubuntu and you want the official Oracle JDK (both 7 and previews of 8), you only need to use this PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/java

--
Alexandru Nedelcu
https://bionicspirit.com

Jim Cheesman

Jun 17, 2013, 7:52:44 AM6/17/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com, er...@erlisvidal.com
Windows 7 at work, Ubuntu at home.

Both have good and bad points, I'm quite happy coding in either (once properly set up).

Korny Sietsma

Jun 17, 2013, 8:35:31 AM6/17/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, didn't mean to dismiss OpenJDK - in the past, every time I've tried it I've had performance issues or compatibility issues.  Admittedly, I haven't tried it for a few years - I'd be very happy if it is now fast and reliable enough for everyday use!

- Korny

---

Kornelis Sietsma  korny at my surname dot com http://korny.info
.fnord { display: none !important; }

Angel Java Lopez

Jun 17, 2013, 9:18:00 AM6/17/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Windows 8 at work
Windows 2008 Server at home

Lot of Node.js, C#, Java, PHP coding. Few Clojure, only spikes or little sample, using REPL, sometimes lein

Angel "Java" Lopez
@ajlopez

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Erlis Vidal <er...@erlisvidal.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm a bit curious to know in what OS do you code. Do you prefer iOS, Linux, Windows? Why is that? Because the tools? The environment?

Thanks!

Herwig Hochleitner

Jun 17, 2013, 9:07:55 PM6/17/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Gentoo on my pcs and servers.
+ the occasional ssh shell from my keyboarded android tablet.

Curtis Gagliardi

Jun 17, 2013, 10:53:06 PM6/17/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com, er...@erlisvidal.com
Linux Mint everywhere, but any distro is fine as long as I can run a tiling window manager (i3) and vim on it.

People complaining about the hassle really should give Ubuntu/Mint or one of the other really user focused distros a try if they haven't recently, it's really not very difficult anymore.

dmirylenka

Jun 18, 2013, 1:47:08 AM6/18/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com, er...@erlisvidal.com
OS X on the working machine, Ubuntu on the servers.
For my project it makes little difference, especially with brew on the mac.
Currently moving from vi to emacs.

Kelker Ryan

Jun 18, 2013, 7:08:49 AM6/18/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com, er...@erlisvidal.com
Arch Linux, but moving to Manjaro for a more stable and simple version of the distro.
The editor is Emacs + nrepl.el + clojure-mode + ritz + rainbow parens + eldoc + ac.

18.06.2013, 14:47, "dmirylenka" <daniilm...@gmail.com>:

Alan Thompson

Jun 18, 2013, 2:17:03 PM6/18/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Windoze 7 with Cygwin on desktop, AIX in production (mostly PL/1 & Java).
Alan

Moritz Ulrich

Jun 18, 2013, 2:44:15 PM6/18/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
NixOS, a linux distribution built on a purely functional package
manager at work and at home. Emacs with package.el and ~/.emacs.d/ in
a git repository.