Spaces to host future meetups

Martin Klepsch

Aug 24, 2015, 3:47:11 PM8/24/15
to Clojure User Group Berlin
Hey everyone!

As you probably know we're constantly looking for potential locations for the Berlin Clojure meetup.

Over the last couple of months interest increased so that the number of RSVPs topped 80 for the last two meetups. Many of the previous venues therefore can't really host a "full" meetup anymore.

Besides these constraints we also organized a ClojureBridge workshop earlier this year and are very eager to make the meetup a welcoming space for beginners and experienced users alike. To facilitate that the suggestion was made to use a separate room/space that beginners can use to share experiences and help each other.

This certainly makes finding an appropriate space harder and so we rely on tips and introductions from you.
Do you know companies with big auditoriums or office spaces? Are there other spaces that come to mind?

Thanks for your help!
Martin & Paulus

Dan Peddle

Aug 24, 2015, 3:55:30 PM8/24/15
to Clojure User Group Berlin

I wonder what the actual attendance has been? there wasn't anything like 80 people at zalando last time around... maybe half of that..?

by the way - I'll follow up this week about seeing if we can host you on the 17th, if you're still up for coming back to us?

keep at it! it's a great meetup. the RSVPs reflect that :)

Martin Klepsch

Aug 24, 2015, 4:10:33 PM8/24/15
to Clojure User Group Berlin
Hey Dan,

yeah, probably around that. I'm bad at estimating that.
(Maybe a good idea to to some rough counting in the future.)

While people don't show up I'm not sure how comfortable hosts are with allowing more people to RSVP than the venue is made/allowed for — in theory everyone could show up, right?

> by the way - I'll follow up this week about seeing if we can host you on the 17th, if you're still up for coming back to us?

Totally! Really liked the space :) Do you know if there would be the possibility to have a smaller a bit separate "problem-/beginners corner" as well?

> keep at it! it's a great meetup. the RSVPs reflect that :)

Thanks for saying that, we're humbled :)

Have a great evening Dan

Arne Brasseur

Aug 24, 2015, 4:18:33 PM8/24/15
to clojure-user...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin and Paulus,

Thank you for all the effort running this great meetup!

It would certainly be instructive to keep stats on how many people RSVP vs actually show up. Do we already keep a percentage of no-shows in mind when setting the quota? It would be a shame to turn people away because it's "full" when in fact it isn't.

If you look at the Ruby user group, they've gotten quite big as well. You can RSVP on their website, but it's optional and not limited. Occasionally it's gotten a bit crowded, but usually growth is quite organic, so the best prediction is really to be able to look back at the last couple of months, and look for venues accordingly.

I think it's a great idea to provide a space for beginners, but doing it during the meetup would be missing an opportunity in my opinion. Again comparing to what the Ruby group does, they went through a similar process, with especially Rails Girls introducing more and more newcomers to the community. The response there has been to try to schedule at least one beginner-friendly talk at each event. That way everyone can just mingle, and new arrivals can make friends with people that have been around for a while. This has worked really well, and it really encourages people to become active in the community.

I'm sorry I can't offer concrete ideas for spaces... I'll keep an eye out :)

Arne

Martin Klepsch

Aug 27, 2015, 8:14:23 AM8/27/15
to clojure-user...@googlegroups.com
Hey Arne,

thank you so much for taking the time to write such thoughtful feedback.

Not capping RSVPs definitely is something to consider. I didn't really think about it until now but thinking back I think most hosts would have been fine with it.

The separate space was requested by the ClojureBridge project groups to get together regularly and I felt like it would be a nice idea to combine the meetup with another "format" that is more hands-on if space allows.

I think for now we'll attempt to find such space and see how it goes.

In any case I'm excited about creating a meetup that is welcoming to people of all skill levels whichever way that might look. :-)

Thank you!

Martin Klepsch

Aug 27, 2015, 8:21:26 AM8/27/15
to Clojure User Group Berlin
Oh, and regarding talk topics:

We'll try to have a healthy mix of beginner/advanced talks in any case :)