JDK and Clojure version support

97 views
Skip to first unread message

Ray Miller

unread,
Aug 21, 2014, 5:14:37 AM8/21/14
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
What JDK and Clojure versions are we targeting for Archimedes/Titanium/Ogre?

Currently tests are failing on JDK 1.6 because of a java.nio
dependency of me.raynes.fs. I'm only using a couple of functions from
this lib and can use an alternative if we need to support this
version.

We're also testing against Clojure 1.4, 1.5.1, 1.6.0, and
1.7.0-master-SNAPSHOT. Do we want to maintain support for 1.4?

Ray.

Michael Klishin

unread,
Aug 21, 2014, 5:24:50 AM8/21/14
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com, Ray Miller
 On 21 August 2014 at 13:14:37, Ray Miller (r...@1729.org.uk) wrote:
> > What JDK and Clojure versions are we targeting for Archimedes/Titanium/Ogre?
>
> Currently tests are failing on JDK 1.6 because of a java.nio
> dependency of me.raynes.fs. I'm only using a couple of functions
> from
> this lib and can use an alternative if we need to support this
> version.

In general, ClojureWerkz is close to dropping JDK 6 support but I guess
there should be a solid version of every project that supports it,
so ideally we should support 6-8 for now, and 7-8 fairly soon.
--
@michaelklishin, github.com/michaelklishin

Michael Klishin

unread,
Aug 21, 2014, 5:25:30 AM8/21/14
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com, Ray Miller
 On 21 August 2014 at 13:14:37, Ray Miller (r...@1729.org.uk) wrote:
> > We're also testing against Clojure 1.4, 1.5.1, 1.6.0, and
> 1.7.0-master-SNAPSHOT. Do we want to maintain support for 1.4?

Why not? I found it very straightforward to support 1.4 through 1.7/master.
That said, we can drop 1.4 since most users are on 1.6 by now, I'd think.
--
@michaelklishin, github.com/michaelklishin

Ray Miller

unread,
Aug 21, 2014, 5:32:08 AM8/21/14
to Michael Klishin, clojure-...@googlegroups.com
On 21 August 2014 10:24, Michael Klishin <michael....@gmail.com> wrote:
> In general, ClojureWerkz is close to dropping JDK 6 support but I guess
> there should be a solid version of every project that supports it,
> so ideally we should support 6-8 for now, and 7-8 fairly soon.

OK, I'll address the Java 1.6 issues.

Ray.

Ray Miller

unread,
Aug 21, 2014, 5:35:03 AM8/21/14
to Michael Klishin, clojure-...@googlegroups.com
On 21 August 2014 10:24, Michael Klishin <michael....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 August 2014 at 13:14:37, Ray Miller (r...@1729.org.uk) wrote:
>> > We're also testing against Clojure 1.4, 1.5.1, 1.6.0, and
>> 1.7.0-master-SNAPSHOT. Do we want to maintain support for 1.4?
>
> Why not? I found it very straightforward to support 1.4 through 1.7/master.
> That said, we can drop 1.4 since most users are on 1.6 by now, I'd think.

No reason, I was just wondering what we are targeting. Certainly no
reason to break 1.4 support needlessly.

Ray.

Michael Klishin

unread,
Aug 21, 2014, 5:39:43 AM8/21/14
to Ray Miller, clojure-...@googlegroups.com
 On 21 August 2014 at 13:35:03, Ray Miller (r...@1729.org.uk) wrote:
> > No reason, I was just wondering what we are targeting. Certainly
> no
> reason to break 1.4 support needlessly.

I see. It's 1.4+ currently for all ClojureWerkz projects.
--
@michaelklishin, github.com/michaelklishin

Ray Miller

unread,
Aug 21, 2014, 6:10:40 AM8/21/14
to Michael Klishin, clojure-...@googlegroups.com
Can you shed any light on this error?

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
com/thinkaurelius/titan/core/TitanFactory : Unsupported major.minor
version 51.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:643)

<https://travis-ci.org/clojurewerkz/archimedes/jobs/33157934> for full trace.

Does this mean Titan itself requires Java 1.7?

Ray.

Michael Klishin

unread,
Aug 21, 2014, 6:15:02 AM8/21/14
to Ray Miller, clojure-...@googlegroups.com
 On 21 August 2014 at 14:10:40, Ray Miller (r...@1729.org.uk) wrote:
> > Can you shed any light on this error?
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> com/thinkaurelius/titan/core/TitanFactory : Unsupported
> major.minor
> version 51.0
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:643)
>
>
> for full trace.
>
> Does this mean Titan itself requires Java 1.7?

Welp. Yes, class file format 51 is indeed JDK 7.

So looks like supporting JDK 6 is a non-issue after all ;)
--
@michaelklishin, github.com/michaelklishin

Ray Miller

unread,
Aug 21, 2014, 6:33:39 AM8/21/14
to Michael Klishin, clojure-...@googlegroups.com
I've already made those changes :-)

Is it sufficient just to remove the jdk6 config from .travis.yml?

Ray.

Michael Klishin

unread,
Aug 21, 2014, 6:37:19 AM8/21/14
to Ray Miller, clojure-...@googlegroups.com
On 21 August 2014 at 14:33:38, Ray Miller (r...@1729.org.uk) wrote:
> > Is it sufficient just to remove the jdk6 config from .travis.yml?

It should be. 
--
@michaelklishin, github.com/michaelklishin
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages