Training with Rich and Stu, next March

Michael Harrison (goodmike)

Nov 21, 2009, 11:22:57 AM11/21/09
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
Hello, everyone,

It's been quiet on the list for a while. I hope you're all coding
happily for fun and profit, whether with Clojure or not.

I wanted to let you know, if you hadn't already heard, that Rich
Hickey and Stu Halloway will be in Reston next March to lead a three-
day training course on Clojure.

More info here: http://pragmaticstudio.com/clojure

I'm planning on going. I've been to a Pragmatic Studio training
session, and it was worth the time and money. Plus, having Rich and
Stu come to our area, even if it is in Reston (sorry, Keith :-) is a
great opportunity. I expect about a third of what they cover will
overlap what we already know from our meetings, but the remaining
stuff should be new. There are advanced topics on the agenda. Plus, we
get to meet other people, not just in this area, who are interested
and involved in Clojure.

It's pricey. Having three days of two experts' time isn't going to be
cheap. But if three or more of us sign up together, we can each save
$300. We'll have to register with one check--that's the tricky part.
If you all trust me enough, I will volunteer to collect checks and
write the big check. I can issue receipts and other legally-binding
documents promising I will in fact send your money on to the Studio
and not spend it on Blue Label and caviar.

If anyone would rather go through a corporate entity, for-profit or
not, and have that entity collect money and disburse the check, I'd be
very happy to go along with that instead. Would your company like to
boost its elite developers' skills? Would your not-for-profit like to
raise its profile?

We should act fairly quickly. These studios often sell out around the
end of the early-bird period, so I'm going to set a deadline of Dec 5
for folks to let me know they want in and to arrange payment. We'd
look to write the big check and register shortly after that.

Anyone interested? You can contact me directly, if you want, at
m...@michaelharrison.ws, or on list.

Cheers,
Michael

Keith Bennett

Nov 22, 2009, 11:28:03 AM11/22/09
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
Michael -

Good news...as an alumnus, you can get the group rate of $1195 (see
"Dates and Pricing" on upper right of http://pragmaticstudio.com/clojure)
.

I would *love* to go -- and even though $1195 is a lot of money (I'm
an alumnus too), the heavyweight combination of Rich Hickey and Stu
Halloway for three full days is amazing.

In addition to the cash outlay, I'd have to take 2 of my precious 10
annual vacation days -- oh, to be a western European. ;)

Unfortunately, I have gotten out of practice with Clojure, and have
little hope at this point of spending serious time with it. Because
of this, I fear that the sizeable investment would not bear fruit.

I might change my mind between now and then, though...

...though it might be full by then...

Ironic, as *I'm* the one who lives in Reston, no?

Cheers,
Keith

---
Keith R. Bennett
Senior Software Consultant
Business: http://www.bbsinc.biz
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/keithrbennett
Blogs: http://krbtech.wordpress.com, http://keithrbennett.wordpress.com
> --

> .

Michael Harrison

Nov 22, 2009, 1:46:27 PM11/22/09
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
Keith,

Yes, I can get the reduced rate as an alum, but I was hoping to lend my number to a group signup. In the sad event we can't find two other people who want to go, I will take the alumni rate and blog and tweet as much as I can about the training.

I hope you find a way to go, because it would be awesome to attend with you. I got an email from Stu last night, and he's very enthusiastic about the course. He's planning to put a lot of effort and love into it.

mh

cburroughs

Nov 22, 2009, 2:46:11 PM11/22/09
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
I contacted Mike off-list. I'm almost positive I'm going which would
mean we just need one more for a quorum.

On Nov 22, 1:46 pm, Michael Harrison <goodmike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Keith,
>
> Yes, I can get the reduced rate as an alum, but I was hoping to lend my
> number to a group signup. In the sad event we can't find two other people
> who want to go, I will take the alumni rate and blog and tweet as much as I
> can about the training.
>
> I hope you find a way to go, because it would be awesome to attend with you.
> I got an email from Stu last night, and he's very enthusiastic about the
> course. He's planning to put a lot of effort and love into it.
>
> mh
>
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Keith Bennett <keithrbenn...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Michael -
>
> > Good news...as an alumnus, you can get the group rate of $1195 (see
> > "Dates and Pricing" on upper right ofhttp://pragmaticstudio.com/clojure)
> > .
>
> > I would *love* to go -- and even though $1195 is a lot of money (I'm
> > an alumnus too), the heavyweight combination of Rich Hickey and Stu
> > Halloway for three full days is amazing.
>
> > In addition to the cash outlay, I'd have to take 2 of my precious 10
> > annual vacation days -- oh, to be a western European. ;)
>
> > Unfortunately, I have gotten out of practice with Clojure, and have
> > little hope at this point of spending serious time with it.  Because
> > of this, I fear that the sizeable investment would not bear fruit.
>
> > I might change my mind between now and then, though...
>
> > ...though it might be full by then...
>
> > Ironic, as *I'm* the one who lives in Reston, no?
>
> > Cheers,
> > Keith
>
> > ---
> > Keith R. Bennett
> > Senior Software Consultant
> > Business:http://www.bbsinc.biz
> > Linked In:http://www.linkedin.com/in/keithrbennett
> > Blogs:http://krbtech.wordpress.com,http://keithrbennett.wordpress.com
> > clojure-study-...@googlegroups.com<clojure-study-dc%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/clojure-study-dc?hl=
> > > .

Conrad

Nov 23, 2009, 11:47:01 AM11/23/09
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
OK, I was thinking at first I wouldn't go, but now I've changed my
mind :-)
Can't pass up this event, even though the material leans toward being
a bit basic. Sure there'll be plenty of time for more advanced topics,
as well.

-Conrad Barski
> > > clojure-study-...@googlegroups.com<clojure-study-dc%2Bunsubscrib e...@googlegroups.com>
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/clojure-study-dc?hl=

Michael Harrison (goodmike)

Dec 2, 2009, 8:14:25 AM12/2/09
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
We have a group of three together now, Chris, Conrad, and me, so we'll
have the group discount. I'm going to wait until December 9th to do
the signup, so there's still time to join us and save $300 off the
cost of early-bird registration. Please email me, and we'll make
arrangements for payment.

I got an email from Stuart Halloway last week, with some more
information about the course. I'm including excerpts below. I hope
that if you're on the fence about going to the training this will
convince you it's going to be worth it.

Cheers,
Michael

===

From Stu:

We will cover new features in the language, both alpha and proposed.
Also, the emphasis I place on different features has changed as we
have put clojure code into production, and we will share that
experience.

The class is an introduction to the language. That said, audiences
inevitably vary in preparation and skill, and a good training course
can cater to that. I am planning to use some time at the end each day
to focus on big picture, inspirational stuff -- looking at harder
problems and how Clojure is used in conjunction with other tools.

be...]
Very practical. I spend all my time writing Clojure code for
production, and will be sharing from that experience.

I have been doing training for a long time, but I have never had
something to talk about that excited me as much as Clojure. For what
it is worth, I won't be happy with the studio unless it is the best
event I have ever done.

On Nov 21, 11:22 am, "Michael Harrison (goodmike)"

Keith Bennett

Dec 7, 2009, 3:09:05 PM12/7/09
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all.

Manning is having a 1 day 50% off sale on their "early access" (i.e.
under construction) books today. One of them is a Clojure book.
Details at:

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs043/1101335703814/archive/1102864245283.html

or go to manning.com and click on the "Save 50%" link.

The list of books on sale is on the manning.com home page. Note that
"Clojure in Action" is in the Java section.

Their eBooks are now up to PragProg standards; they have ePub
(iPod/iPhone) and mobi formats in addition to the usual PDF's.

Cheers,
Keith

Keith Bennett

Dec 7, 2009, 3:11:10 PM12/7/09
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
P.S. Don't forget to enter the discount code when you check out!

liebke

Dec 8, 2009, 3:21:38 PM12/8/09
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
Michael,

You can count me in for the group discount. I've been looking forward
to the class with Rich and Stu since the first announcement.

Let me know what information you need from me,
David

On Dec 2, 8:14 am, "Michael Harrison (goodmike)"

Mark Brooks

Dec 8, 2009, 8:38:51 PM12/8/09
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
This sounds good. What is the group discount? I might be able to get
my employer to reimburse me for it.

Mark

liebke

Dec 10, 2009, 5:12:42 PM12/10/09
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
Just got my email confirmation for the Pragmatic Studio class, thanks
Michael! See you, Chris, and Conrad there!

David

On Dec 2, 8:14 am, "Michael Harrison (goodmike)"

Craig Andera

Jan 6, 2010, 8:57:08 PM1/6/10
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
Is it too late to get in on this? I have no practical reason to take the class, but I can't stop thinking about it, and hey - I own my own company. :)

Conrad

Jan 6, 2010, 9:51:07 PM1/6/10
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
Unfortunately I think it's too late to get in with our group price-
Hope to see you at the class anyway at the full price :-)

-Conrad

Matt Revelle

Jan 7, 2010, 12:38:19 PM1/7/10
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
Is there any interest in having a post-class meetup/happy hour in
Reston?

> To post to this group, send email to clojure-study-
> d...@googlegroups.com.

mef...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2010, 12:47:07 PM1/7/10
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
> Is there any interest in having a post-class meetup/happy hour in Reston?

Although I am not likely attending the class, I would love to attend any meetups. Maybe we could get Rich and Stu to attend. :-)

-m

Conrad

Jan 7, 2010, 12:54:51 PM1/7/10
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
Oh, I'm sure there will be multiple such events... We may want to wait
to get the official schedule first though before setting up an
addendum meetup- Hard to know what times will be good/bad at this
point.