Slightly OT: Libraries for Java?

1 view

Serge Wroclawski

May 17, 2009, 10:33:24 AM5/17/09
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
How does one look for Java libraries?

Where are the base libraries located?

Is there something like C-SPAN or some other way to search/distribute
libraries as needed?

- Serge

Keith Bennett

May 17, 2009, 8:29:15 PM5/17/09
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
Serge -

I don't think there's anything like CPAN for Java. There are sites that
host projects, like sourceforge.net, but nothing like CPAN, or Ruby
Gems, or Ubuntu (Debian?) Aptitude.

The closest thing may be Maven, which is really good for finding and
installing many/most significant open source jar files, but it requires
setting up an XML configuration file named pom.xml (POM == Project
Object Model) in your project root directory. Maven is known as being
very easy to use but very difficult to set up, at least for more
significantly sized projects. Maybe there are new tools that simplify
the process, I don't know.

This would be a great question to ask the novajug Yahoo group
(http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/novajug/).

In fact, it would be a great Clojure project idea too. ;)

- Keith

Serge Wroclawski

May 17, 2009, 9:33:46 PM5/17/09
On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Keith Bennett <keithr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Serge -
>
> I don't think there's anything like CPAN for Java.  There are sites that
> host projects, like sourceforge.net, but nothing like CPAN, or Ruby
> Gems, or Ubuntu (Debian?) Aptitude.

Then how do you handle finding/installing new program libraries?

For example- after reading the mail RFCs I decided the problem had
larger scope than I realized and I went looking for a library to
handle it. I did find one via google but the mechanism for installing
that library is beyond me, so I'm looking at how this is done
generally.

- Serge

Dan Bernier

May 18, 2009, 8:26:37 AM5/18/09
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
> How does one look for Java libraries?

Google, AFAIK -- like Keith said, there's no automated tool like cpan,
ruby gems, etc. (Though even with those tools, you start with google
-- you need to know -what- to install.) Apache is a good source for
lots of open-source java: www.apache.org.

> Then how do you handle finding/installing new program libraries?

Generally, it's nothing more than ensuring the .jar is on your
classpath. The project site should offer a .jar download, or the
source (with build instructions), or both.

Apologies for coming in out of nowhere, I've been lurking for a while. :)
--
twitter @danbernier
http://invisibleblocks.wordpress.com

Keith Bennett

May 18, 2009, 3:59:42 PM5/18/09
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
Serge -

Unfortunately it's not that easy with Java to find all libraries
addressing a need.

I usually google, and ask fellow developers, often on the Novajug
list.

I don't know if you already know this, but there is a Java mail
library; its home page is http://java.sun.com/products/javamail

- Keith