Tasks for the next 2 weeks

1 view

Serge Wroclawski

May 16, 2009, 4:07:20 PM5/16/09
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
Here are the tasks we came up with at the meeting:

Michael:
Date Handling
Twitter Statuses

Serge:
Email (RFC2822)
Ical Parsing (RFC2822)

Unassigned tasks:

sort-by
Google search query term
associate fields
Linegraph outputter
SQL select
SQL insert
Geospacial mapping output
CouchDB
HacDC Status (XMPP)

Michael Fogus

May 16, 2009, 7:51:52 PM5/16/09
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
I can take one of those unassigned tasks. Any preference?

-m
--
-- http://fogus.me
-- http://github.com/fogus

Keith Bennett

May 16, 2009, 11:22:23 PM5/16/09
to clojure-...@googlegroups.com
Guys -

Unfortunately I won't have time to participate in this.

I do have a suggestion, though, for Michael, or whoever does the date
handling. Date handling in Java has traditionally been problematic.
There's an open source date/calendar library out that looks to be far
superior to the built in Java stuff. It's Joda, whose project lead is
Steven Colebourne, who I believe is responsible for much of the
excellent Jakarta Commons code. I'd highly recommend using, or at least
looking into it. It's at:

http://joda-time.sourceforge.net/

I strongly suggest not trying to roll your own date calculation stuff --
it appears simple on the surface, but there are a lot of tricky things
that lie in wait for you...

- Keith

Michael Harrison (goodmike)

May 17, 2009, 8:42:53 AM5/17/09
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
Pick whichever one you'd like. :-)

Michael Harrison (goodmike)

May 17, 2009, 8:43:26 AM5/17/09
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
Keith,

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into Joda.

Michael

Michael Harrison (goodmike)

May 17, 2009, 10:18:34 AM5/17/09
to Clojure Study Group Washington DC
All,

FYI, for now we're still posting code to the list for review,
comments, etc. We will move to coordinated collaboration at github
soon, but the folks at the last meeting felt that the informality of
the list was good for now.

Also, I want to welcome Chris Kennedy, who came by yesterday to join
us. Chris, I hope you'll continue to join us online and in person.

Speaking of in-person, we're shooting for two weeks from today, May
30, for our next face-to-face. The primary purposes of future meetings
will be code review, strategy (e.g. identifying abstractions in our
code base, new ideas for overall project directions, etc.) and
identifying new tasks.

If you'd like to take on one of the tasks we identified at the last
meeting, just send the list an email so everyone else knows what
you're working on. Feel free to suggest other items as well. We're
keeping it simple, so prefer vanilla defs and functions over macros.

Unassigned tasks:

sort-by
Google search query term
associate fields