status of untranslated.clj

Pepijn de Vos

May 10, 2012, 10:57:49 AM5/10/12
to clojure...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is there a central place to manage who's working on what? It's tempting to just eat away at untranslated.clj from top to bottom, but this doesn't work well if multiple people do the same thing.

I thought about porting seque, which is really tricky to do without race conditions. In fact, the JVM version isn't fool-proof either and its absent in ClojureScript. The contract makes so many assumptions, it's hard for any non-standard queue to not break a few.

Is there a reason most objects have non-obvious representations? Python lists for example.

Regards,
Pepijn de Vos

Timothy Baldridge

May 10, 2012, 11:54:42 AM5/10/12
to clojure...@googlegroups.com
> Is there a central place to manage who's working on what? It's tempting to
> just eat away at untranslated.clj from top to bottom, but this doesn't work
> well if multiple people do the same thing.

No, and yes there should be. Right now I'm working on some concurrency
stuff, so I'm not finding much time to do translating ATM...

What I suggest is this...can someone write us a script that dumps all
the public defs from clojure.core on the JVM? Then we can do the same
in clojure-py (see ns-publics). We can slap the result into a csv file
and upload it to google docs. Then developers can tag functions with
their name...for an example see the numpy in pypy status:
http://buildbot.pypy.org/numpy-status/latest.html

Timothy Baldridge

Pepijn de Vos

May 10, 2012, 12:06:16 PM5/10/12
to clojure...@googlegroups.com
Working on it.

How would I get 2 Clojures in one project?

Does clojure-py work on Jython?

Pepijn

Pepijn de Vos

May 10, 2012, 3:02:49 PM5/10/12
to clojure...@googlegroups.com
Done: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvxNyc_oQlEIdHpMRmZWeGZmMFBmeE5qQ0JNNVhsRWc

Should it be so that anyone can edit it? Not sure about spam.

There is no smooth process to generate this file yet.

Also, clojure-py returns string keys, while Clojure returns symbols.

Timothy Baldridge

May 10, 2012, 3:06:31 PM5/10/12
to clojure...@googlegroups.com
That'll work. Let's just add some headers to it, and mark them as
"description", "name", "assigned-to", "Completed" or some combination
of those.

Having it public is fine with me. I doubt we'll get much spam. We can
make backups from time to time anyways.

Timothy
--
“One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was
that–lacking zero–they had no way to indicate successful termination

Pepijn de Vos

May 10, 2012, 3:23:25 PM5/10/12
to clojure...@googlegroups.com
Added the headers.

I found that you can share to a group, so now all the members of this list have edit access.

I filled an issue for the ns-publics bug: https://github.com/halgari/clojure-py/issues/109

Pepijn

Adam Feuer

May 12, 2012, 11:44:08 PM5/12/12
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Pepijn de Vos <pepij...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Added the headers.
> I found that you can share to a group, so now all the members of this list have edit access.

I made a wiki page for the Untranslated coordination, and linked to
the spreadsheet:

https://github.com/halgari/clojure-py/wiki/Clojure-Translation-Notes

-adam
--
Adam Feuer <ad...@pobox.com>

Pepijn de Vos

May 13, 2012, 3:37:36 AM5/13/12
to clojure...@googlegroups.com
Cool.

What to do if a core functions needs something imported from the stdlib, or even *gulp* from pypi?

Pepijn

Laurie Clark-Michalek

May 13, 2012, 6:32:13 AM5/13/12
to clojure...@googlegroups.com
There's plenty of precedent when it comes to using the stdlib (we use the random module and the re module iirc), but I really don't think it's wise to start adding external dependencies from pypi without a fair amount of discussion (and even then, I think quite a lot of people would be against it).