Neocons Performance

Guy Taylor

Aug 6, 2014, 4:57:14 AM8/6/14
to clojur...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm new to using Neocons and I'm trying to do an batch insert, but my performance seems very strange.

For 8 nodes I get 338.95 msecs
For 800 nodes I get 3811.903 msecs
For 800 000 nodes has been running for the last 25 minutes.

This is on an SSD disk.

Are these similar to other benchmarks? I had expected a faster insert rate.

Surely this can't be right?

I'm using the batch/perform function to do my inserts

Michael Klishin

Aug 6, 2014, 7:44:15 AM8/6/14
to clojur...@googlegroups.com, Guy Taylor
 On 6 August 2014 at 12:57:15, Guy Taylor (guy.t...@gmail.com) wrote:
> > Surely this can't be right?
>
> I'm using the batch/perform function to do my inserts

So you're trying to insert 800K maps in a single fn call?

I'd not guess about what takes time. Profile and see. It can be the
default clj-http connection manager, which does not use persistent
connections AFAIR, or a JSON serialization degradation for very large
collections.
--
@michaelklishin, github.com/michaelklishin

Rohit Aggarwal

Aug 6, 2014, 9:30:52 AM8/6/14
to clojur...@googlegroups.com
I tried a similar thing to this and my results are pretty different from your timings. My code is here.

Results using neocons bulk node create API:
8 Nodes - "Elapsed time: 103.127756 msecs"
800 Nodes - "Elapsed time: 472.565108 msecs"
800,000 Nodes - "Elapsed time: 67846.977864 msecs"

These were run on my desktop running ubuntu 64bit and quad-core intel chip and ample RAM.

Obviously these timings are for my very simplistic case.

If you could share your problem or your code, perhaps we can give you a more appropriate answer.

How much memory have you given to Neo4j? Have a look here for details.

cheers
Rohit