Need help on how to make a change so repl doesn't start in new shell on Windows

Grant Rettke

Apr 24, 2012, 4:46:52 PM4/24/12
to Clojure Maven Plugin
Hi,

My goal is to use clojure:repl as my inferior-lisp-program for use
with clojure-mode on Emacs 23 on Windows. The pom is set up and mvn
clojure:repl works just fine but I was surprised to find that on Linux
it stays in the same shell but on Windows it pops up a new shell with
the repl! Obviously this breaks using it for inferior lisp. I see in
the code:

https://github.com/talios/clojure-maven-plugin/blob/develop/src/main/java/com/theoryinpractise/clojure/AbstractClojureCompilerMojo.java

That this is specifically in place for windows. Why is this the case?

Is this a good candidate for being a flag? Should I just build my own
version?

I won't move forward until I hear back because I suspect this was a
fix for something.

Env Details:

GNU Emacs 23.3.1
clojure-maven-plugin 1.3.10
Apache Maven 3.0.4 (r1232337; 2012-01-17 02:44:56-0600)
OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"
The current date is: Tue 04/24/2012
The current time is: 15:42:43.93

Best wishes,

Grant

Mark Derricutt

Apr 24, 2012, 4:56:35 PM4/24/12
to clojure-ma...@googlegroups.com, Grant Rettke
On Wed Apr 25 08:46:52 2012, Grant Rettke wrote:

> That this is specifically in place for windows. Why is this the case?

A quick reply for now - that change was put in place specifically
awhile ago, I'd have to dig thru the commit messages/issues to remember
why it was contributed.

From memory there was some issue which caused problems with the repl.
That may have been JLine related I'm not sure off hand.

You should be able to use clojure:swank tho after adding the required
swank deps and use SLIME?

Grant Rettke

Apr 24, 2012, 5:24:41 PM4/24/12
to Mark Derricutt, clojure-ma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Just checked out the trunk and rebuilt it without the special case for Windows and found that what happens is that when you start up the REPL your keyboard input it not displayed until after hitting enter.

That said... it works fine as the inferior lisp process.

Good point about SLIME but I really want to just do the inferior lisp thing.

What would you recommend should I create a branch or something? Or is there a way that a flag can be set or something for how it starts? I'm curious to know what is the best approach here to enable a mode where it works for inferior-lisp on Windows.