Support for nREPL

Mikkel Søgaard Christiansen

Aug 31, 2012, 5:39:08 AM8/31/12
to clojure-ma...@googlegroups.com
After swank-clojure has been deprecated (details here: http://technomancy.us/163). Is there any plans to include support for nREPL in the Clojure Maven Plugin or an easy way to create a 'clojure:nrepl' command by configuring pom.xml?

Cheers!
Mikkel

Mark Derricutt

Aug 31, 2012, 6:43:15 PM8/31/12
to clojure-ma...@googlegroups.com
I pulled in a patch to run with REPLy the other day and was thinking about making a patch release this weekend, but will take alook at adding nrepl first.

The way the other repls are being supported are simply by adding their dependency, and the clojure:repl goal detects that and runs with it ( of course, if you add 3-4 REPL implementations I'm not entirely sure which will be used :)

Mark Derricutt

Sep 1, 2012, 6:06:51 PM9/1/12
to clojure-ma...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking just after posting this message yesterday that nEPL is _the server_ side of things rather than the client like the other repls.  So yes, another goal may work.

Either that, or I'm thinking of maybe reusing the style of the repl goal and renaming :swank to just :server - and based on whats available use it if possible.

mik...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2012, 7:57:35 AM9/3/12
to clojure-ma...@googlegroups.com
Personally I would prefer that you make it explicit e.g. clojure:swank, clojure:nrepl --- possibly clojure:nrepl-server. Calling e.g. clojure:swank could then prompt people to install the right dependencies if they're not there.

The concern with 'auto-detection' is that it will be more difficult to figure out what's going on when it isn't working e.g. are dependencies 'shadowing' each other or tripping each other up.