Licensing / Distribution of contrib-project dependencies

Herwig Hochleitner

Feb 5, 2019, 5:32:14 PM2/5/19
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've been developing more advanced cljs support for data.xml, based on a JS library called sax-js.
I'd like to clarify the compatibility of this dependency before a possible release.

Right now, I'm webpacking this dependency within data.xml and distribute it in resources:

Sax-js is licensed under The ISC License, a simplified MIT - equivalent https://github.com/isaacs/sax-js/blob/master/LICENSE
Is this allowable for a contrib dependency?

Is the distribution as a data.xml resource OK, or should this be its own maven coordinate? In contrib?

Thomas Heller

Feb 6, 2019, 7:00:35 AM2/6/19
to Clojure Dev
Hello,

you should consider publishing/including sax-js via cljsjs instead.

Including the lib directly means that others are unlikely to see it and if something else in a CLJS builds also ends up using sax-js by other means they'll end up including sax-js multiple times in the build.

A quick search found https://github.com/funcool/tubax which also decided to bundle its own instead of going with cljsjs.

It may not be an issue in this case (or you just might not care about build size) but in general this pattern should be avoided.

Regards,
Thomas

Herwig Hochleitner

Feb 8, 2019, 8:29:44 AM2/8/19
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Am Mi., 6. Feb. 2019 um 13:00 Uhr schrieb Thomas Heller <th.h...@gmail.com>:
Hello,

you should consider publishing/including sax-js via cljsjs instead.

I guess if the license is OK, the distribution method won't matter that much .. I'll wait until before I want to make a release. If there are no objections from cognitect until then, I'll go with that.

Alex Miller

Feb 8, 2019, 8:59:03 AM2/8/19
to Clojure Dev
The MIT license is fine (although I think the license and copyright need to remain with the code).

I agree with Thomas that including stuff in the distribution is not the preferred path and cljsjs sounds better.