State of core.async

Pierre-Yves Ritschard

Feb 14, 2018, 7:35:06 AM2/14/18
to Clojure Dev
Hi!

We have a number of Clojure projects relying heavily on Clojure core.async at Exoscale. From a glance, it seems most usage in the wild is rather directed at the ClojureScript ecosystem. As a sidenote, thanks for the library, coupled with transducers it gives us great way to test transforms in isolation.

While hitting an issue which could be a bug in the library (but we're only at the beginning of the investigation so far) I created a ticket[1] and had a quick glance at the open ticket issues.
I was surprised to see that no issues (open or closed) had seen acknowledgement since last August[2].

I'm well aware of the low resource availability at Cognitect and the obvious focus on projects with more reach such as Clojure itself, ClojureScript, and spec; so please
don't read this email as a complaint.

The situation did prompt a few questions which follow:

- Is the project considered depreciated from Cognitect's perspective?
- If not, is the project considered stable and maintenance only from Cognitect's perspective?
- As external contributors, is there anything we can do to improve the situation?

Cheers, and thanks for the library again.

  - pyr

[1]: https://dev.clojure.org/jira/browse/ASYNC-214
[2]: https://dev.clojure.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?sorter/field=created&sorter/order=DESC

Alex Miller

Feb 14, 2018, 9:28:11 AM2/14/18
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 6:35 AM, Pierre-Yves Ritschard <p...@spootnik.org> wrote:
[...]

No, it is in active use by Cognitect in numerous places.

- If not, is the project considered stable and maintenance only from Cognitect's perspective?

No, it's just not getting much attention right now.

- As external contributors, is there anything we can do to improve the situation?

Tickets and patches are always welcome. I typically try to schedule it for a slice of attention every few months. For various reasons (like getting 1.9 out the door), it's been a bit starved lately. I guess what would help me the most is prioritization of key pain points that are blocker level issues and whatever you can do to make tickets cleaner to review.

 The core.async code is non-trivial and sometimes doing review takes a while. If you are doing review (or providing patches), providing a good description of the problem with an example, a summary of approach, and a guide to the changes in the patch is hugely beneficial as otherwise the screener (usually me) has to start from scratch to do that same process.

Alex