Linux Flash Issues

Kurtis Heimerl

Mar 5, 2011, 7:10:39 PM3/5/11
to clock...@googlegroups.com
Hello ClockTamer!

I've recently acquired a clocktamer 1.2, and I was trying to flash it
with some newly built firmware. I discovered that the build
instructions are a little out of date (e.g, I'm pretty sure
'CFLAGS="-DTAMER_2080_20" make' should be 'CFLAGS="-DTAMER_VER=1.2"
make' for my particular unit) and there are likely some bugs. I was
able to build some firmware, but unable to push it to the clocktamer.
In particular, the wiki says:

Connect ClockTamer to a computer with mini-USB cable.
Short-circuit nSS pin of GND (see pinout here). You can just place you
finger over SPI connector to short-circuit these pins.
Power on ClockTamer. LED should light up immediately (WITHOUT flashing
once first).
Remove short-circuit from nSS to GND.

Right now, I'm not seeing the clocktamer flash at all, grounded or
not. When running 'make dfu' i get:

dfu-programmer at90usb162 erase
dfu-programmer: no device present.
make: *** [dfu] Error 1

Which I assume means I have no available targets for dfu-programmer.

Thoughts?

sergey kostanbaev

Mar 9, 2011, 3:37:15 PM3/9/11
to clock...@googlegroups.com, Kurtis Heimerl
Hi!

It should be CFLAGS="-DTAMER_VER=12".
Could you provide `dmesg` output when you connecting short-circuited tamer from nSS to GND and open? Did LED light when you power on short-circuited tamer?

Kurtis Heimerl

Mar 12, 2011, 6:31:05 PM3/12/11
to sergey kostanbaev, clock...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the direction. I've been playing with the thing (trying to
determine if I really need to flash the firmware) and I think I need
to resolve this issue.

This is all I get out of dmesg:
[51007.110339] usb 1-1.2: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
[51007.224390] usb 1-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[51007.224681] cdc_acm 1-1.2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

The LED does light, though I can't seem to get it to flash when NOT
shorted, it gives one continuous LED light regardless of shorting.

Here's my response when trying to update the firmware:

kheimerl@darth-maul ~/src/clock-tamer/board $ sudo make dfu

dfu-programmer at90usb162 erase
dfu-programmer: no device present.
make: *** [dfu] Error 1

message when trying to send it. I'm using dfu-programmer 0.5.1 on Linux Mint 9.

Thoughts?

sergey kostanbaev

Mar 13, 2011, 3:41:25 AM3/13/11
to Kurtis Heimerl, clock...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

[51007.110339] usb 1-1.2: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
[51007.224390] usb 1-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[51007.224681] cdc_acm 1-1.2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

This means that clock-tamer started in normal mode and cannot be flashed. So, did you short nSS to GND before power up and after powering up got this message?

Kurtis Heimerl

Mar 13, 2011, 3:43:17 AM3/13/11
to sergey kostanbaev, clock...@googlegroups.com
I thought I did, but perhaps I wasn't doing a good enough job. I took
the advice from the wiki and tried to short it with my fingers (as I
didn't know exactly what port was nSS).

I'll wire it directly to make sure it's grounded. Which SPI area is nSS?

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 11:41 PM, sergey kostanbaev

Alexander Chemeris

Mar 13, 2011, 4:14:16 AM3/13/11
to clock...@googlegroups.com, Kurtis Heimerl
Hi Kurtis,

May I ask you why do you want to re-flash your ClockTamer? If you just
need to change output frequency you should use command interface and
you don't need to re-flash.

--
Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.

Kurtis Heimerl

Mar 13, 2011, 4:16:50 AM3/13/11
to Alexander Chemeris, clock...@googlegroups.com
Updating new hardware is just a good habit i've picked up, I suppose.

There are no big changes from the version that would have shipped with the unit?

Alexander Chemeris

Mar 13, 2011, 4:26:50 AM3/13/11
to Kurtis Heimerl, clock...@googlegroups.com
To say precisely, they're nil. ClockTamer 1.2 should have the latest firmware.

Kurtis Heimerl

Mar 14, 2011, 4:22:03 AM3/14/11
to clock...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Chemeris
Well that makes life simpler! Is there a way to ping the clocktamer
about it's software version number?

I'd still like to resolve which pin is nSS, for future reference. I'm
sure, at some point, I'm going to have to flash this thing.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Alexander Chemeris

sergey kostanbaev

Mar 14, 2011, 5:16:58 AM3/14/11
to clock...@googlegroups.com, Kurtis Heimerl, Alexander Chemeris
Hi!

You can use this command
http://code.google.com/p/clock-tamer/wiki/ControlProtocol#Version_%28%22VER%22%29

or use our GUI program to view it
http://code.google.com/p/clock-tamer/wiki/GUI

To short nSS means to short pins in red circle. It easily could be done from bottom side using wire.
tamer-gui-nSS.png