clocktamer problems

georgen...@live.co.uk

May 30, 2012, 5:14:46 AM5/30/12
to ClockTamer
Hi All,
First timer here..
Currently I have two clocktamers, both connected to USRP1 (ettus Dev
kits). All of the soldering and connection work was done by Ettus, and
both USRP1's have previously used successfully with OpenBTS.

Suddenly we are having clock problems. I have been trying to run tamer-
spi or the tamer gui apps, but am having problems actually connecting
to the clocktamer hardware.

Following the advice from a nice chap at Ettus, I have removed all
connected cables and just plugged the clock-tamer directly via USB -
but at no point is it recognised on my pc. (Have actually tried a few
different boxes and different versions of linux.). Actually, all that
seems to happen is that after around 30 seconds, both clocktamers just
get hot!

When I run tamer-spi (with the clocktamer attached via the USRP) I get
the following output:
./clock_tamer
USRP side: A
FPGA clock: 0
Decimation: 192
Antenna: RX2
Your ClockTamer is listenning. Read to command!
HWI (I also tried: CMD="HWI", "HWI" etc etc)
>0x0(?) clock_tamer: spi_tamer.cc:47: int ClockTamerSpi::Send(const char*, char*, int):Assertion `data == 0xFF' failed.

As far as I am aware 0xFF is used as EOL in the clocktamer - but I am
unsure. I can only assume that the software isn't getting a response
from the clocktamer - and consequently the operation fails.

Anybody have any advice to test if we have somehow fried our
clocktamers?

Thanks,

George

sergey kostanbaev

May 30, 2012, 5:32:07 AM5/30/12
to clock...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

We're sorry for inconvenience, let's figure out what's wrong:
Is it ClockTamer with GPS? Try to remove all cable from ClockTamer, remove ClockTamer from USRP and connect to it only USB (as suggested). Does LED on front of ClockTamer flash or light? Type "dmesg" in console, do you see any notification from USB driver such as device insertion or removal?

0xFF "is sent" as a silent symbol (no actual data are sent) It's widely used in most SPI-based protocols

gee

May 30, 2012, 6:09:46 AM5/30/12
to ClockTamer
Hi Sergey,

Thanks for the quick reply.

It is a clocktamer without GPS.

When I remove all cable and just plug in usb, there are no LED on
either clocktamer.

dmesg and lsusb show no change after 30 seconds.

George