How many would be interested in a 2-day clojure workshop?

Ravindra Jaju

Jun 23, 2013, 7:58:18 AM6/23/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

How many of you would be interested in attending a 2-day clojure workshop? The idea is not only to get up to speed, but also learn to write more involved code and understand the tools ecosystem better.

We have still not finalized on when and where, but there may be an element of money involved to cover basic costs like the venue and food. It's not going to be a for-profit activity.

Those interested, please respond as soon as you can so that we can have this moving.

Thanks!

Mayank Jain

Jun 23, 2013, 8:09:27 AM6/23/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
What would be the content for this course in 2 days?
Price roughly?

Regards,
Mayank.

Baishampayan Ghose

Jun 23, 2013, 8:28:19 AM6/23/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com

We still need to decide the specifics! ~BG

Sent from phone. Please excuse brevity.

Tushar Bihani

Jun 23, 2013, 8:46:37 AM6/23/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
I will attend if its over the weekend.

Regards
Tushar

Mayank Jain

Jun 23, 2013, 9:54:52 AM6/23/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Interested, yes.

prathamesh sonpatki

Jun 23, 2013, 11:19:48 PM6/23/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
I am also interested.
./prathamesh

Ravindra Jaju

Jun 23, 2013, 11:57:10 PM6/23/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Great to get some immediate response!

Please do spread the word around to check if there are more interested people. Some folks I met at Rubyconf yesterday expressed interest too.

@Mayank - As BG mentioned, the specifics are still to be figured out. I'm also thinking of expanding the scope to before and after the 2 days to include talking about the Java guts of Clojure to make it more appealing (and grounded?) for the Java developers who still aren't sure about why/how/where they will want to use clojure. The beauty of clojure is in its simplicity - and that extends to the Java heart of it very well!

@Tushar - Yes, we all do have similar constraints and it will need to be on the weekend! :)

Cheers!

--
jaju

Aamir Mushtaq

Jun 24, 2013, 4:04:16 AM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com

I am interested. And yes it does need to be planned on the weekend to accommodate for members schedules.

faizan khan

Jun 24, 2013, 5:12:05 AM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Interested in attending

Suresh Iyer

Jun 24, 2013, 7:22:33 AM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I am interested and also interested in knowing more (as @Mayank said).

I understand you guys are still working out the specifics (as @ghoseb mentioned), but it will be helpful to know for instance, whether this is going to be targeted at the newbies alone or will there be something for the intermediate folks as well? Are we going to cover web programming? Pedestal? Or is it going to be purely focused on the language (and the java) aspects?

Also, any tentative dates in mind? Thanks.

Ravindra Jaju

Jun 24, 2013, 7:34:31 AM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
The focus for this very workshop is going to be the language and not any kind of application programming (web or otherwise.) Complementary talks to discuss the implementation in Java of clojure itself are also ideas we are talking of here.

Pedestal, or general web dev, or logic programming etc. are good topics for (day-long?) hackathons and those too are worthy ideas.

We really are looking to gauge interest first before we can figure out the specifics. It doesn't mean it will be this *or* that, but maybe it can be multiple things we can plan. The intention is to up the momentum which is currently not at an ideal level - and it appears that it may be because people aren't in a position to find good reasons to even play with clojure.

If you do have any ideas (or are even willing to speak on, say, pedestal) - let's discuss that here! It will be interesting (to me, at least.)

Best,
jaju

protoiyer

Jun 24, 2013, 7:56:09 AM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, @Jaju for sharing your thoughts.

I am afraid I cannot talk on Pedestal - my question was more along the lines of "I would like to learn how to get started".

One thing I can think of is to have say a 3 or 4 consecutive* days workshop and allow people to decide whether they want to just attend the first 2 days (language) or days 3 and 4 as well (maybe one day for the java thing you were talking about and one day dedicated to web programming). Not sure whether this makes sense, but just thought will share my thoughts.

* I am from Chennai and so wouldn't want to travel twice for attending all 4 days (if you keep it on say 2 weekends).

Ravindra Jaju

Jun 24, 2013, 8:16:06 AM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Suresh.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM, protoiyer <prot...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am afraid I cannot talk on Pedestal - my question was more along the lines of "I would like to learn how to get started".

Ah - ok! :) I was happy we had someone who we could help us get started with it! It's been something I've been trying to follow without any progress really.

One thing I can think of is to have say a 3 or 4 consecutive* days workshop and allow people to decide whether they want to just attend the first 2 days (language) or days 3 and 4 as well (maybe one day for the java thing you were talking about and one day dedicated to web programming). Not sure whether this makes sense, but just thought will share my thoughts.

That is going to be hard! Weekends work because we don't miss office...

* I am from Chennai and so wouldn't want to travel twice for attending all 4 days (if you keep it on say 2 weekends).

Wow! If you were thinking of travelling even for one weekend for this, I really admire that!
But I'm not sure what we can do about this - except share materials online. Maybe, this is a good motivation to actually make good presentation material for these talks!

Nice!

--
jaju

Baishampayan Ghose

Jun 24, 2013, 10:33:22 AM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Suresh,

Pedestal is not something unique; you don't need to "learn" it
separately. If you have a solid foundation in Clojure using libraries
(like Pedestal) should not be any harder.

The goal of the course is not to teach anyone a specific library
(unlike other programming languages, Clojure favours libraries over
frameworks), but provide a good foundation of Clojure & its semantics
so that one can learn the rest on their own depending on the needs.

Regards,
BG

b.ghose at gmail.com

Anirudh Sudarshan

Jun 24, 2013, 11:28:35 AM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Me!
Please try keeping it over the weekend.

Amit Shinde

Jun 24, 2013, 11:49:39 AM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, interested.

Prathamesh Kulkarni

Jun 24, 2013, 12:49:52 PM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, interested, I am looking forward to it. I hope it won't be scheduled for this weekend though (29-30 June).

protoiyer

Jun 24, 2013, 1:44:05 PM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
@Jaju: Oh, happy to come over and escape the extended summer of my city ;).

Weekends: ok, I understand. Once we have more details, I can decide which weekend(s) to attend (if at all you are planning the session over two weekends).

If possible, please plan it for the weekend of 13th July or after. That would give some time for any other interested outstation guys to book ticket (a friend of mine is interested to come for this from Hyderabad). Thanks.

Siddhant Gawsane

Jun 24, 2013, 1:46:47 PM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Would this be helpful for beginners? I'd like to come but I know nothing about clojure

Siddhant

Mayank Jain

Jun 24, 2013, 1:46:42 PM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
It's interesting to see people outside of pune wanting to attend a clojure workshop!
Looking forward to it :)
Regards,
Mayank.

protoiyer

Jun 24, 2013, 1:51:36 PM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
@BG: Thanks a lot for the detailed reply and for the clarification on Pedestal and Clojure libraries.

I was just hoping (as @Jaju too mentioned) that maybe someone can help us getting started with it, that is all. But, please don't mistake me - it is not for Pedestal that I wanted to come. As I tweeted to you, I just want to learn more about lisp from people with experience. It complements nicely (at least, for me) with the knowledge one can gather from books. Thanks.

Aditya Athalye

Jun 24, 2013, 3:53:17 PM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
(-> in definitely count me) ... if that pun works out wrong, then
definitely, definitely count me in :D

--
Aditya Athalye
www.adityaathalye.com

Mohit Thatte

Jun 24, 2013, 10:04:08 PM6/24/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Very interested. Would prefer a weekend.

~mohit
-Mohit Thatte

Baishampayan Ghose

Jun 25, 2013, 12:54:51 AM6/25/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
It will definitely be after the 13th July weekend (I am away till
then), may be even August. We need a good amount of time to plan the
course content as well as the logistics. ~BG

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 11:14 PM, protoiyer <prot...@gmail.com> wrote:
Message has been deleted