article on Projection in Trump's America that might be of interest to list members

Stein, Howard F. (HSC)

Mar 28, 2019, 8:59:17 PM3/28/19
to clios...@googlegroups.com, Stein, Howard F. (HSC)

Dear Clio'sPsyche Folk,

Good evening from Oklahoma. Today I had the good fortune to have a little article published in the Tulsa World  On-Line Opinion site.  It is called "Projection in the Age of Trump."  I enclose the link below if you are interested in reading it.

It is part of my on-going effort do try to contribute some applied psychohistory/psychoanalytic anthropology, etc. to a wide audience.  The Tulsa World has generously published several of my essays over the past years.  The op-ed editor, Wayne Greene, is especially receptive to my weird kind of thinking, and has published my work on many occasions.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/columnists/howard-f-stein-projection-in-the-age-of-trump/article_9a894df4-5167-11e9-bc9e-f39235d28f93.html

Thank you for your consideration. See you soon at the IPA.

Warmest regards,

Howard

Author of  Centre and Circumference (2017)  https://www.amazon.com/Howard-F.-Stein/e/B001HCZ62C/ref=ntt_dp_epwpk_0

Light and Shadow (poetry): https://doodleandpeck.com/adult

Listening Deeply (Second Edition): https://www.amazon.com/Howard-F.-Stein/e/B001HCZ62C/ref=ntt_dp_epwpk_0

The Dysfunctional Workplace (with Seth Allcorn): same url as above, amazon.com

Howard F. Stein, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus

Department of Family and Preventive Medicine

Oklahoma City, OK  USA;

howard...@ouhsc.edu

Phone: 405-787-6074

Poet Laureate, High Plains Society for Applied Anthropology

Home address: 1408 Oakhill Lane, Oklahoma City OK 73127 USA

Dr Judith Logue

Mar 29, 2019, 4:11:22 PM3/29/19
to clios...@googlegroups.com, Stein, Howard F. (HSC)
Fabulous... educating the public IS working!

Let us hope it is reflected in the 2020 votes.
💪🙏👍
Judy

Judith Logue, Ph.D.
18604 Tranquility Base Lane
Port St. Lucie, Florida 34987
--
<><><>

Stein, Howard F. (HSC)

Mar 29, 2019, 6:11:59 PM3/29/19
to clios...@googlegroups.com, barnard collier
Dear Howard,

Many thanks for the pleasure of your elegant analysis and explanation which I find a bull's eye re: Trump and projection.

Miss your ideas and your generous, tender, and respectful prose. Like a breath of spring air.

Hope you are happy and well,

Barney (in South Beach, Florida)

Howard Stein

Mar 29, 2019, 8:57:18 PM3/29/19
to clios...@googlegroups.com
Dear Barney,

Good evening from Oklahoma. Thank you for writing and for your generous words.  I hope to see you in May at the IPA in New York.

Warmest regards,

Howard

Burton N. Seitler

Mar 31, 2019, 7:58:16 PM3/31/19
to clios...@googlegroups.com
Hi Howard,

Terrific essay,  valuable contribution,
exceedingly important and timely. In
the upcoming issue of JASPER,  Dr.
William R. Meyers has written similar
things in his article, Using Qualitative
News Excerpts as Assessors of Tension
filled tenors of the Times. There are more
than few similarities to what you observed.

Hope to see you at the IPA this May.

Warm regards,

Burton N. Seitler

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 8:59 PM Stein, Howard F. (HSC) <Howard...@ouhsc.edu> wrote:

Patrick McEvoy-Halston

Mar 31, 2019, 10:25:39 PM3/31/19
to Clio’s Psyche
. . . and Trump voters are where we deposit unwanted aspects of our own selves. They’re being deplorable, keeps us feeling pristine. Perhaps readers need to be introduced to this idea. Perhaps more so than as to how psychically ill Trump voters are. Especially since, with the rise of hillbilly elegy, they’re in the process of becoming less available as ready poison containers b

Stein, Howard F. (HSC)

Mar 31, 2019, 10:40:39 PM3/31/19
to clios...@googlegroups.com, Stein, Howard F. (HSC)

Dear Patrick,

Good evening from Oklahoma. Thank you. You are right to say that projections are reciprocal. No one or one side is pristine. Indeed, to insist that one or one's group is pristine, and that the Other is all bad, is clear evidence of splitting, projection, etc.  The reciprocal projection and projective identification and introjective identification become an unconsciously driven system, from which the two supposed opposite (at the conscious, ideological, level) are inseparable.

In my little article, I limited myself -- and was limited by newspaper space, even on-line -- to exploring and perhaps explaining one facet of the toxicity and miasma of the Age of Trump.  Thanks again for writing.

Warm regards,

Howard

Author of  Centre and Circumference (2017)  https://www.amazon.com/Howard-F.-Stein/e/B001HCZ62C/ref=ntt_dp_epwpk_0

Light and Shadow (poetry): https://doodleandpeck.com/adult

Listening Deeply (Second Edition): https://www.amazon.com/Howard-F.-Stein/e/B001HCZ62C/ref=ntt_dp_epwpk_0

The Dysfunctional Workplace (with Seth Allcorn): same url as above, amazon.com

Howard F. Stein, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine
Oklahoma City, OK  USA;

howard...@ouhsc.edu
Phone: 405-787-6074
Poet Laureate, High Plains Society for Applied Anthropology
Apr 1, 2019, 11:59:05 AM4/1/19
to Clio’s Psyche
Howard,

Good morning from Toronto. Yeah, I got that, and thought your article accurate, and did good. Thank you for it. It's only that there is about no one exploring how the more adjusted, the healthier individuals in society --- liberals -- are nevertheless insufficiently heathy enough to have yet moved past projection when they're feeling guilty over too much individual and societal growth. Or let me correct that, no one outside of those interested in weaponizing our flaws in order to add momentum to their concern for overall societal regression/worsening, and overall limiting of accurate vision. The only people out there who might be able to unsettle their equilibrium enough to be able to take it on, are us, are liberals, and it's probably good for us to be a bit more aware of, one, how we're seeming strangely unconcerned to explore ourselves right now, and what manufacture of genius is enabling this, and two, of how there's probably never been a more important time for us to be as ready to disengage from the comfortable -- which isn't to be found only in understanding the deplorables and all their illnesses -- in order to ensure the public good, than right exactly now. The possible trouble with your article is that it might feed into people's ready interest to associate any and all personal disorders in some other vehicle; some other vehicle, which is ideal for the purpose, in being, actually, very disturbed, and for doing their own dumping onto other vehicles which we will go to our graves seeing as in actuality, benign. That is, we, if we choose so, can disown that we project, for aren't Trump supporters accurately best identified as holders of hate? Yes so, so we ourselves aren't making ideal use of this fact to add more in, but simply describing them accurately, demonstrating our clear vision, clear mind... our sanity. And they aren't doing the same thing as us when they understand immigrants, liberals/students/universities as malign; they aren't simply describing accurately, for we know for a fact and will go to our graves continuing to know, that there have never been forces more beneficent than these. Things will begin to get more complicated, more aggrevating and perhaps self-annihilating, when more and more people turn nationalist, start saying though the walls too much there's a point to enhancing borders, start saying that nationalism can be empowering, not only a force of regression, and we get confronted with the fact that we have idealized, and demonized (though all ultimately necessary, for societal growth wouldn't have been possible without it, for it not yet having enough constituents with childhoods sufficient to be comfortable with ongoing reforms which enable further and further reaches into our collective self-actualization), for losing as much of the echo we've been accustomed too for a very long time.

Ken Fuchsman

Sep 14, 2021, 3:47:39 PM9/14/21
to clios...@googlegroups.com
Here is a link to a conference on Psychoanlaysis and Social Justice at the London Freud Museum

Howard,

<><><>