Re: [cliospsyche] Digest for cliospsyche@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Ben

Apr 1, 2024, 12:57:45 AMApr 1
to clios...@googlegroups.com
No worries Carol, you're definitely welcome. The issue of status is interesting isn't it; the special status we accord to parents (a social pedestal maybe?) isn't accompanied by material supports is it. I mean we don't put our money  where our mouth is, literally. We might have some limited welfare nets in some countries, but this is hardly being paid a wage out of the value our labour creates (and this is still exploitation and leased slavery at the end of the day anyway, after all).

Some also argue that, under conditions of gendered class hierarchy, government welfare nets are tantamount to an additional subsidy to capital, since dividends are ultimate what result.

I don't have kids personally, so it's hard for me to judge, but I wonder to what extent we as as society put parenting on a control pedestal? Thelast thing anyone wants is parents in general waking up to how dependent those of us who clock dividends are on handouts from unpaid domestic care labour. Seems like the abortion debate is mostly about control; if conservatives cared about the foetus after it was born, it would be harder to imagine they only cared about keeping plenty of value-added human capital in the labour pool.

Imagine if all the single mothers in the world decided to get organised and go on strike, wouldn't that be something.

Thanks for your feedback, definitely appreciated.

All best,
Ben

On Thu, 28 Mar 2024 at 16:17, <clios...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Carol jaxson-jager <drcarol.j...@gmail.com>: Mar 27 12:18PM -0400

Ben,
Thank you for your link to a true and eye-opening article concerning
parenting (mostly females) and how their free labor (cooking, cleaning,
parenting etc.) for approximately 20 years per child is a boost to the
economy, A limited number of females are in self-supporting careers, and
females generally are pushed into marriage because of wedding fun, friends
and excitement, the baby shower,( friends and gifts), baby milestones
(first words, first steps, terrible twos), school (first day, homework,
sports, friendships) Generally, the American culture may be saying
parenting means more attention to the parents of the child, bringing status
to the parent. The implication for females is that their only value is to
have babies. The reversal of Roe V. Wade and some States that force rape
victims to carry a baby to delivery seems to reinforce the thought. The
economy needs women and girls to have babies so the economy can progress
from the free labor of parenting,

Carol M. Jaxson-Jager Ph D

Ben Debney
Writer and researcher
Ph. +61 0480 125125
https://linktr.ee/bendebney

Out now: The Oldest Trick in the Book: Panic-Driven Scapegoating in History and Patterns of Persecution (Palgrave Macmillan)

I acknowledge the people of the Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands I dwell.