January 31 deadline for IPA 2022 conference proposals; the pandemic, suicide, and other violence

Brian D'Agostino

Jan 8, 2022, 2:54:17 AM1/8/22
to Clio's Psyche Forum

Dear all,

I hope you will join with the International Psychohistorical Association for our 45th annual conference this May 19-21.  It will be online and hopefully also at numerous local “hubs” of conference participants meeting in person around the world, public health conditions permitting.  Our theme this year is “Group Identity and the Sources of Conflict,” but as always, presentations are not limited to this topic.  For bios of our featured speakers (presenting on May 19) and our call for proposals, visit the IPA website at: https://www.psychohistory.us/conference-and-membership.php  On this same webpage, scroll down to register for the conference or renew your IPA membership.  If you might want to present at the conference, please note the January 31 deadline for submitting your proposal.

An issue that is surfacing under conditions of the pandemic is an increase violence of all kinds.  One of our conference sub themes is "Pandemic Stress and the Many Faces of Suicide." Two of our featured speakers will also be addressing the topic of violence: Pramila Patten, UN Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict, and Bandy Lee, author of Violence: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Causes, Consequences, and Cures.  On pandemic-related violence against women, I bring your attention to an article in today's CNN, "Three women brutally killed in one day in France, in 'unbearable' start to new year:" https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/08/europe/france-spain-femicide-intl-cmd/index.html

If you are encountering suffering and loss, I wish you strength and healing as our turbulent new year unfolds.

With all best wishes,

Brian

Brian D'Agostino, Ph.D.

President, International Psychohistorical Association

psychohistory.us