Info

1 view

Brigitte DEMEURE

Sep 16, 2023, 4:51:52 AM9/16/23
to cliospsyche

Good morning all,

For those of you who understand French and are interested in French psychohistory :

https://www.radiofrance.fr/franceculture/podcasts/concordance-des-temps/au-gre-des-politiques-la-figure-maternelle-1789-1914-4675782

Radio France Culture (it's a public radio for knowledgeable listeners) contacted me a week after the publication of my book "La figure maternelle dans la vie politique française (1789-1914)"  – for the program “Concordance des Temps”. It is produced by Jean-Noël Jeanneney, his grandfather was a close confidant of Clemenceau, minister under De Gaulle and president of the Senate, his father a close confidant of De Gaulle and minister, deputy, and he himself was close to De Gaulle and worked for Mitterrand, then minister and professor at Sciences Po in history.....

I was totally nervous and intimidated, and the worst part was that he didn't stick to the script so I couldn't use my notes.... That was a real challenge. They certainly had to do a lot of editing to get a correct broadcast.

But - one well known professor of history presents my work as being " "part of what is known as the “new cultural history”. She uses tools borrowed from other disciplines to analyze the place of the maternal figure in French political life during the Revolution and the 19th c., and to question the gap between its omnipresence and the absence or rejection of real women in the political arena."

It means that French historians keep ignoring psychohistory as such, which is a pity, even though I insist on its value.

Best wishes

Brigitte