New poetry book by Howard F. Stein, STANDING IN THE CHAOS.

Howard Stein

May 4, 2024, 9:48:39 PMMay 4
to Howard Stein

May 4, 2024

Dear Friends and Relatives Everywhere,

       Good Saturday evening from Oklahoma.  I am happy to let you know that a new book of my poetry, Standing in the Chaos, has just been published by International Psychoanalytic Books (IPBooks), in New York. Below I offer IPBooks Poetry Editor, Irene Willis’, Foreword; ordering information; some brief biographical information; and three generous endorsements. The price of the paperback is $15.95

          The book can be ordered via Amazon.com   “My” author page link is: Amazon.com : howard f. stein   The Amazon book webpage link is:    Standing in the Chaos: Poems: Stein, Howard F: 9781956864663: Amazon.com: Books

It can also be ordered directly from the publisher, IPBooks at this link: https://ipbooks.net/product/3849/    I provide fuller ordering information below.

          Thank you very much for your consideration of my new book of poems.

Warmest regards,

Howard

7501 W. Britton Rd., Apt. 273,

Oklahoma City OK  73132 USA

E-mail: hfs...@gmail.com ;

Cell Phone: 405-226-2484

Poet Laureate, High Plains Society for Applied Anthropology;

Psychohistorical Poet Laureate

Standing in the Chaos: Poems by Howard F. Stein - IPBooks

$15.95

Standing in the Chaos is a book of wise, humane and deeply felt poems. Howard F. Stein doesn’t shy away from what, in another era, might be called political, but in our world today are really existential.

Stylistically direct, some might even be called prose/poems, but all are informed by his deep faith. We learn from his Introduction that he understands his own poems better than even the best reader, but you will be the judge of that.
–Irene Willis, Poetry Editor, IPBooks

ORDERING INFORMATION:

Standing in the Chaos: Poems: Stein, Howard F: 9781956864663: Amazon.com: Books

$15.95

Paperback ‏ : ‎ 234 pages

ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 1956864660

ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1956864663

Standing in the Chaos can also be ordered directly from the publisher, International Psychoanalytic Books, New York.  $15.95

https://ipbooks.net/product/3849/

About the Author:

Howard F. Stein, an applied, psychoanalytic, medical, and organizational anthropologist, psychohistorian, and organizational consultant as well as poet, is Professor Emeritus in the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK, USA, where he taught for nearly 35 years.

Author, co-author, and editor of 35 books, he has written and published ten books and chapbooks of poetry, the most recent of which are Presence – Poems from Ghost Ranch (NM) (2020), Centre and Circumference (2018), and Light and Shadow (2018). He has published over 250 poems in print and on-line literary journals.

He is Frequent Contributor to Songs of Eretz Poetry Review, and is Poet Laureate of the High Plains Society for Applied Anthropology, and Psychohistorical Poet Laureate. He and Seth Allcorn have co-created a book of poetry, called Whiteboardings, published in 2023. He can be reached at hfs...@gmail.com

You might be interested in reading three endorsements of the book:

Endorsements:

“A severe kind of beauty”: It is this arresting phrase, among so many sin Standing in the Chaos, that captures Stein’s poetry. As an unflinching and unparalleled witness to human folly, Stein shows us how mere words on a page can come alive, rattle our senses, and yet also dare us to be still. There is no other poet who affects this type of authentic encounter. And there is no other poetry that invites us to linger—in pain and presence as well as in wonder—amid chaos. I hope readers will find and lose themselves in this book, all the while coming alive to their inner and outer worlds.

Nathan Gerard, Associate Professor in the Department of Health Care Management at California State University, Long Beach, and author of Winnicott and Labor’s Eclipse of Life: Work is Where We Start From

A view from the bank of my dear friend Howard F. Stein’s stream of poetic consciousness reveals a diverse, engaging, and chaotic flow of life that surrounds all of us and can make it challenging to know who is on first base and how our lived experience adds up. The path toward sense making begins with a bus and passes through a vast and ageless landscape of lived experience that includes mass shootings and war, children locked in cages, the mystery of the streetlight lit leaves of live oaks passing through the seasons and the chaotic vortex of organizational life. The variety and depth of these poems provides opportunities to make sense of the chaotic complexities of our lives without doing an injustice to this worldly experience. We may all ask, as did the poem about Bud Abbott and Lou Costello’s comedy routine, who is on first? The poems of this book suggest that there are many ways to answer this question.

Seth Allcorn was senior executive at five health sciences centers in a career spanning five decades, and an organizational consultant.  In 2023 he co-authored with Howard F. Stein a book of poetry titled Whiteboardings (Finishing Line Press). He specializes in being a universal irritant in the service of creativity and truth!

Howard F. Stein again has a major artistic achievement, this time via 103 poems in Standing in the Chaos. Much—but not all—of this work conveys a foreboding tragedy from the 1980s to the present, for example, the enervating impacts of climate change, Trumpism, and immigration. Nevertheless, Dr. Stein provides a bit of counterbalance with glimpses of wonder, awe, and compassion. He is especially skillful in using the metaphor of the seasons of Autumn, Winter, and Spring to convey this. There is even an inkling of hope to help us survive these dark times, maybe even redeem ourselves from our blind, unconscious self-destructiveness.

Robert C. Smith, MD, University Distinguished Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry Emeritus, Michigan State University.

Howard F. Stein